somen

YOJIMBO

I have to admit, these are not my area, or usually my cup of tea, but I rather like this one. The metal finish looks nice and well done. The proportions look right, and balanced. I am not a fan of the "chocolate" leather on the facing, but the obverse if it looks good. Is it the hand of Ichiro, or an older hand. It seems to my novice opinion that it comes from a skilled hand.

First glance, it might remember (or resembling) the works of “Ichiro” (respectively “Ryotaro”) but lacks the expression and the quality of both, IMHO.

The komori-zuke, on the tare, is a later addition/repair.

Estimating somen is quite difficult and I’m far from being experienced in this field. However, by chance, I’ll get the opportunity, to handle some pieces today. So maybe more later..... 

• Like 2

Yojimbo,  It is not that there is no serious discussion, it is rather that there is little that can be said. Although early somen exist, they are totally different to this one which is typical of those made for very late Edo period armours. I doubt in fact they were ever really worn and seem to have been produced to show how skilled the armourer was and how wealthy the owner of the armour was in having one made. I referred to the fact that I had seen an armour in the past with the rabbit and waves theme done on leather but could not remember where or when. I see literally hundreds of armours a year but for some reason you seem to be taking umbrage because I could not  remember the detail of where or when I saw a particular one. For that I must apologise but there it is..

Ian Bottomley

• Like 2

This sômen seems to ring a bell, but I just can't remember where I saw it (maybe an auction).

Anyway, I am surprised to see that all 3 parts are rivetted together, and that the Inside red lacquer seems a little "fresh". I had first thought Fukutake, but the overall 'happy' expression is not his style.

Its a nice mask.

Paul

• Like 1

Most sômen are made from 2 or 3 parts that are attached either by pins and/or hinges.

Fukutake for example rivetted the nose as it was too complicated to mahe a detachable nose.

As for the lacquer, in the pictures (for me at least), it seems too flashy. On most Edo period items the lacquer is slightly duller from age

Paul

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Tom,  The mask may well be relatively new, but the tare definitely belongs to the armour in the Mogami Museum. Unfortunately there is no view of the interior of the mask which would show the lacquering. That often gives away new creations.

Ian Bottomley.

Ian, i hope you are well.

Check the Link i post, so you have a good look inside the of the Somen that show the lacquering. By the Tare maby you are right.But these Somen is never Edo, but the work is good, and the Price was ok.

Tom

• 9 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..