More information from Mr Komiya

Dave R

To quote,...."1. Minutes from factory foreman meeting of 13th March 1945

Regarding Gunto in general, they start out by requesting a wider range of material substitutes to be permitted, including use of items of civilian market origin. It further explains that Gunto production had chiefly relied on private companies that are little more than mom and pop shops, lacking in proper business structure, who cannot shake off old artisan attitudes, bringing production output to a crawling pace."

Well worth reading this update in full. 

http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/Japanese-militaria/short-development-history-type-95-gunto-676112-9/#post2034792

• Like 8

I hope Nick will allow us to copy and share some of his invaluable info here.

Recent bombing raids have destroyed production facilities at all suppliers (Suya, Kobe and Iida). Though progress is being made in relocating their production elsewhere, resumption of production is anticipated only from July onwards. Officer gunto production also lost all blade workshops, both within the arsenal and at private companies. Through desperate means, prospects for a supply of approximately 700 blades have been arranged, but as facilities for exterior components also had been decimated, none can be assembled into complete swords. Regarding these exterior parts, we are currently calling on Association members such as Iida, Hinodeya and Sugito to work together in establishing new production facilities in Kofu City in Yamanashi Prefecture.

This makes it quite clear why we see so much variety in fittings and styles. Looks like at various points, they must have allowed anything available to be fitted to assemble swords. And possibly since many of these "factories" were tiny operations, they may have made non-standard styles of fittings?

• Like 5

Brian

He will.  I have been in discussion with him regarding information for the pinned post on the Type 95.  Nick is very accommodating about sharing.

By the way; Things are coming along,  I am getting things together and organized for a quality post on the T95... also notable is Nick keeps finding relevant info which I add into appropriately.

I almost wish I was wealthy enough to just hire him for a couple months to deep dive the archives for anything and everything related and relevant.

• Like 8

Just a question, the quote says "gunto", do the minutes from the factory meeting encompass NCO swords as well as officer models? 

"Gunto in general" is said, would assume he means officer models too, which ties in with how inconsistent and unpredictable production rates were. 

• Like 1

Click the link and read on, but it states in the quote shared, ." Officer gunto production also lost all blade workshops, both within the arsenal and at private companies. " So it would seem that Officers 98's were also heavily affected, and let's face it, there were problems with keeping up with demand from very early on. .That's why you see such a mix of blades in surviving examples.

I have blades from 4 type 98's, one signed Gendai, one oil tempered and signed Showato with Seki stamp, one oil tempered with no signature, and one unsigned  traditionally made Taisho or earlier blade  reused as a 98! That's a hell of a variation in such a small sample.

• Like 1

The context of the meeting minutes was in fact Type 95 production.

“ 1945 April Production Report (Remarks column)

"Recent bombing raids have destroyed production facilities at all suppliers (Suya, Kobe and Iida). Though progress is being made in relocating their production elsewhere, resumption of production is anticipated only from July onwards. Officer gunto production also lost all blade workshops, both within the arsenal and at private companies. Through desperate means, prospects for a supply of approximately 700 blades have been secured, but as facilities for exterior components also had been decimated, none can be assembled into complete swords. Regarding these exterior parts, we are currently calling on Association members such as Iida, Hinodeya and Sugito to work together in establishing new production facilities in Kofu City in Yamanashi Prefecture."

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..