Am I looking at the right thing

Nickupero

Have this marvellous tsuba and I'm curious if the theme is of the legend where the carp swims up stream to be transformed into a Dragon (sorry I forget the Japanese name). Or is it another theme?

Also please feel free to give opinions as to which school.

post-2223-0-04084000-1578365377_thumb.jpgpost-2223-0-42584100-1578365529_thumb.jpgpost-2223-0-29584500-1578365136_thumb.jpgpost-2223-0-40601800-1578365564_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Nick, I think that you are correct about the theme.  According to Japanese/Chinese mythology, a Koi (carp) who manages to swim upstream and jump over the "Dragon's Gate" (a famous waterfall) will be transformed into a dragon.  I think that yours shows the three stages of transformation (carp, hybrid & dragon).  For a Samurai, this would symbolize making an extreme effort to accomplish something great.

• Like 2

Thanks for chiming in gents, Hizen would have also been my guess, wondering if anyone had more to say about origins. That is what I saw George, thank you for confirming at least I know I'm not making it up in my head  :crazy: . I like that extra explanation regarding the meaning to a Samurai. Would have been an even nicer piece in its prime, appears to have had far more gold overlay throughout which has mostly come off/or covered by the more aggressive rust.

Stephen wasn't for sale at the moment... was intending to bring it to the Show in Holland this summer.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..