tanto in gunto mounts

rich j

imho... if it looks like a duck and it walks like a duck and it talks like a duck ….  then that sucker is going to be convicted of being a flipping duck... but I am only one member of the jury that is trying to convince the other members of the jury. I believe the evidence is before you...

Rich, 

I do not care one way or the other, but you can not force others to see it your way.  They are entitled to their opinion as are you.

You see it as evidence, but I would dare say your evidence is based on speculation.  There is no concrete evidence to support or refute your claim or opinion. Just as those who disagree with you have no proof of the contrary, again only speculation and opinion.  You can not know 100% when or what was or wasn't done by whom before you came into possession of these mounts. 

At the end of the day speculation is speculation, not proof.  Further argument from either side would be futile.

• Like 3

I understand and respect your opinions I truly do . this group has the reputation of being the gate keepers of the truth concerning nihonto and that is no small thing.. I understand that it takes more than opinion to change opinions especially long held opinions . I figured out a long time ago that the true path forward is not represented by having the right answer because the right answer is usually obvious. the real trick is in asking the right questions and that is all I was trying to do and I apologize for having done so. please forgive the foolish child .. richard

• Like 2

Well said Rich. If you ask a question here you will certainly get the use of some experienced and knowledgeable collectors. And some times that answer may not be what you want to hear. 

At the end of the day you can accept or reject the comments, your choice. 

Just enjoy owning what you have, keep reading the message board, and further your knowledge. 

Richard,

IMHO nothing to apologise for and no necessity to forgive!!  I have enjoyed this thread and if I might say - if you've been addicted to this hobby for 40 plus years (did that slip by most folk??) welcome to the Board and I earnestly hope you'll stay and share your collection and insights with us.

What I liked most about your tanto is the blade your friend made for it.  I note the boshi is yakiotoshi, which shows a certain preference on the part of your friend.  I would like to see a full length photo of the blade both sides without the habaki, please, if you don't mind.

Best regards,

BaZZa

aka Barry Thomas

(Melbourne, Australia)

• Like 4

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..