Beware- ebay 1945 Type 95 sword

Stegel

Was browsing the web and found something interesting,  so i thought i'd alert everyone here to beware and keep clear of this one.

Someone is going to get caught with what i consider to be a fantasy piece, not the rarity that it is promoted as.

The description states:

WWII Japanese Officers Wood handle NCO Sword Type 95 with wooden scabbard, 1945 . Condition is Used.

Last stage type.

Mounting of last stage type :  Produced by Seki Token Co., Ltd (Gifu Prefecture) - indicated on the Hilt ring.
Simbol "He" - on the blade with number 134776 . 

Incheon Army Arsenal Heinio (Yang) ( Occupied Korea)-  Factory Inspection seal.
The Arsenal responsible for blade manufacture and final assembly of the sword.

Rare piece.
Total length in scabbard - 40 1/2 in (102 cm); Blade length - 26 1/2 in.
The scabbard  probably custom.

Upon closer inspection of the photos provided, i thought it odd that the blade would have the 'he' stamp, and it is definitely not in my opinion.

The scabbard looked very poor and unusual, i agreed with the seller who stated it was  'probably custom', but not from 1945 i thought.....

After checking some records, i was right, - custom from within the last 3yrs.

A serial number check revealed that the blade was sold in 2016, as a relic with no scabbard. It also had the remains of an Aluminium handle with the appearance of being in a fire, so was charred and burnt.

Looking for similarities between the old photos and the new, revealed the numbers being identical, and i also marked with a red arrow in the pics, the dent at the front top tip of the habiki.

2016 serial numbers are the top 3, with different filters, the bottom serial number is the cleaned up 2020 one.

I've included a compilation of 2016 photo's , the same of the current 2020 sale, and a comparison of the serial numbers for you guys to check out and comment freely on.

Whether the current seller produced this 'rarity' or purchased it as is, remains a mystery, but this is definitely one to stay away from.

post-1868-0-32074100-1577918620_thumb.jpg

post-1868-0-28869900-1577918646_thumb.jpg

post-1868-0-04810000-1577918667_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Very well done with the detective work mate. I saw this sword and immediately discounted it based solely on a couple of observations:

- We know that there is a very limited run of pattern 5 with fullers and we know the number range and

- These are all Seki stamped

- I have a proper pattern 5 from Jinsen (unstamped) and it's not remotely similar to this

- I have other pattern 5 with those sort of 'odd marks', which are just poor strikes, so even without the above, I'd assumed it one of those

As always, myself and every serious 95 collector should offer you our sincerest appreciation for keeping, researching and sharing your meticulous records.

• Like 2

Bravo Stegel! Excellent detective work as always.
The buyer would have good reason for return based on those pics. Does the wood handle look home made to anyone? Lines look off.

The link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/WWII-Japanese-Officers-Wood-handle-NCO-Sword-Type-95-with-wooden-scabbard-1945/174140323597
I would be interested in what the seller has to say about this if it is pointed out to him.
If he turns arrogant, it may be worth pushing this one hard.

• Like 2

This auction bugs me badly,  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Japanese-Gunto-Marked-WW2/153783279632?hash=item23ce32a010:g:a78AAOSwkedd2rHQ, the sword has a hole drilled in the blade and scabbard. I asked the seller if there was a hole in them or if it was some kind of reflection in the picture. I was surprised when they answered me saying yes that there is a hold in the blade but not the scabbard??? They look like holes to me in roughly the same place? They said the previous owner drilled it so he could hang it on the wall. :(  I asked "don't you think information like this should be included in the auctions description with your No Return policy?" I didn't get a response after that. 

Ron - 

I see two issues here from the git-go  ... one is a hole drilled in handle, and the retaining screw missing (the other hole), which are not often easily found to replace.  As Steve will tell you, there is no real reason to remove the handle .. hence mess with the screw.  If you come across an aluminum handle with nice paint retained, and the screw is missing all it's paint, that is something to take note of in and of itself.      I see a sword in this condition with screw missing and added damage to handle and I walk away ... UNLESS minimum bid is set at 200.00 dollars (vice 500), then I might ponder it for 5 minutes,  but that's just my humble opinion.    I reconditioned one sword that was severely rusted and I paid less than 500 for it, but I didn't have to deal with things I couldn't fix (like drilled holes  :) ).   Dan 

Bravo Stegel! Excellent detective work as always.

The buyer would have good reason for return based on those pics. Does the wood handle look home made to anyone? Lines look off.

The link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/WWII-Japanese-Officers-Wood-handle-NCO-Sword-Type-95-with-wooden-scabbard-1945/174140323597

I would be interested in what the seller has to say about this if it is pointed out to him.

If he turns arrogant, it may be worth pushing this one hard.

The pattern 5 vary greatly in quality, Brian. Some are very well crosshatched, some poorly so. There's nothing here that screams anything other than poor quality and worn. There are a certain number of lines that should be standard too, but I can't remember how many that was.

• 2 weeks later...

Just for your info...

This guy has done a second lot of mods to this and is re-selling again!

Changed it's appearance, but once you know, you can tell a pig is a pig, no matter how much lipstick you put on it.

Wow, so soon after the first attempt. A lot of front and no shame at all,  NOW we know he IS a backyard scammer 100%

post-1868-0-85402900-1579387130_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..