Hello, I have this blade with a slightly more corroded tang than usual, with both sides full of kan

Petersan

Hello,

I have this blade with a slightly more corroded tang than usual, with both sides full of kanji, I would like to get some help, at least the to find out the last 2 kanji of the signature to start with my research, or with help of the other side as it does not look like a dating (perhaps a memorial writing, or the second part of the long signature?)

Regards
Peter G.

post-1404-0-54575300-1577793959_thumb.jpg

post-1404-0-29140000-1577793979_thumb.jpg

Great help, big thank you!

the other side might says this? : Shin Ju Go Mai Kobuse Saku” (made with true 15 plate construction) 

Hi Peter, this is signed with the typical signature and inscription of Shitahara smith Musashi Taro Yasukuni, and refers to the school's forging method.

http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic/22487-katana-made-by-musashi-taro-yasukuni/

Best regards,
Ray

Peter,

You are lucky to have Ray here on the list - and so are the rest of us since this sword would have been a challenge without his help.

I checked the images and was at the "Well, gee, .." phase when I decided to see what else had been said... and there was the answer.

Thanx!

Peter

• Like 2

Yes, I only found the second kanji different, as the 真十五枚太平伏  matches, except the 十 kanji is different greatly, which means 10 and after the 5 makes it 15 of course.

I was trying to find a way that might not be 15 but maybe more, but no number kanji is similar to my 2nd kanji. Perhaps the smith was using this kanji for the common 10 ... ? or a greater number ending with 5 ??

Peter,

You are lucky to have Ray here on the list - and so are the rest of us since this sword would have been a challenge without his help.

I checked the images and was at the "Well, gee, .." phase when I decided to see what else had been said... and there was the answer.

Thanx!

Peter

I just found that this can be also used for 10:  拾  It does look very similar to the 2nd kajni, so 15 is matched now and all complete !

Yes, I only found the second kanji different, as the 真十五枚太平伏  matches, except the 十 kanji is different greatly, which means 10 and after the 5 makes it 15 of course.

I was trying to find a way that might not be 15 but maybe more, but no number kanji is similar to my 2nd kanji. Perhaps the smith was using this kanji for the common 10 ... ? or a greater number ending with 5 ??

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..