https://japantoday.com/category/picture-of-the-day/ancient-sword

Quote from article, for educational purposes.

“ The dojigiri, a Japanese national treasure considered one of the five most noted swords in the country, created by sword maker Hoki Yasutsuna in the Heian period (794-1185), is seen at the museum of Kasuga Taisha shrine in Nara on Friday. It is part of the museum's exhibition of old Japanese swords that opens Saturday and runs through March 1, 2020.””

• Like 8

Yes, Jacques, I think all of us understand by now that you are not able to see the bōshi. Don’t feel sad, some people take longer than others to get an eye for all the details in a Japanese sword. Keep studying, and maybe on day you’ll get there.

• Like 1

Yes, Jacques, I think all of us understand by now that you are not able to see the bōshi. Don’t feel sad, some people take longer than others to get an eye for all the details in a Japanese sword. Keep studying, and maybe on day you’ll get there.

Sure, i'm not, like you, stronger than Chuck Norris... :rotfl:  

To be serious, as you know nothing about me you don't have any idea of what i can know or not; maybe be you will be very surprised.

I think the website which Guido linked has numerous good images showing that the blade does have a fairly visible boshi... by the way, this guy at Kougetsudo does not seem to be a dealer but seems to buy swords on request or something? Or is he a dealer? His website has a lot of research and images of topmost items. 

So far I have got 23 signed tachi by Ko-Hōki Yasutsuna, 1 fumei tachi and 4 mumei katana attributed to him

The second sword that Andi is asking about is owned by NBTHK and it is very often featured in Tōken Bijutsu and other publications too. So far I have it on 11 references.

I think the most commonly listed length for it is 80,1 cm (even though it is 79,9 cm in your pic, there can very often be few mm differences between publications). It has 2,9 cm sori, 2,8 cm motohaba, 1,7 cm sakihaba and 20,9 cm nakago.

• Like 3

No one is going to split hairs over 2mm of length :)) polishing can shorten a blade by that much and the quoted 80cm might have dated to the beginning of the 20th century when it was initially more formally catalogued (and that nagasa copied henceforth from older records).

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..