Navy Rinji Model

Cross-Reference

With only one ashi (suspension ring), these naval kai-gunto are often associated with Naval Landing Force officers (marines).  The wooden saya may well have originally been plain with a black leather combat cover, but this one is painted black which may or may not be period.  The sword is late war because of the black pitch tsuka; earlier swords would have been rayskin.

WW2 Japanese 1937M Naval / Marine Officer's Kai-Gunto Katana, sold

• Like 1

Cross-Reference

You can tell this is a genuine WW2 Japanese Naval Landing Forces Officers Kai-Gunto because it only has a single ashi (suspension loop) plus has a leather combat cover.  ...  This is a late war gunto as there is no same (ray skin) but rather a black pitch fabric tsuba base cover.

WW2 Japanese Naval Landing Forces Officers Kai-Gunto, Sold

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

We don't have a dedicated thread for Late War Kaigunto (one on Warrelics, though), so I'm posting this here.

A mumei, late war kaigunto in leather covered saya, with army kabutogane.  I've seen similar ones around.  Note the kabutogane doesn't have the sakura and leaves around the edges (not a good shot, but I think I'm right about that).  So the style we see on the souvenir is fashioned off this tone-down late war fashion, I think.  Found on this Warrelics Thread.

Japanese Officer's sword: Real or Fake?Japanese Officer's sword: Real or Fake?Japanese Officer's sword: Real or Fake?

Japanese Officer's sword: Real or Fake?Japanese Officer's sword: Real or Fake?Japanese Officer's sword: Real or Fake?

• Like 1

On 5/2/2022 at 11:04 PM, Bruce Pennington said:

have that one-piece fuchi/seppa seen on a few late-war kaigunto and on all the post-war souvenirs:

I must say that there are a few that were identified as souvenirs that have normal naval fuchi with separate seppas for the record.:)

• Thanks 1

I posted this on the tassel thread, but this is a late war Gendai KaiGunto signed by Akikuni. Single haiken, and came with an Army tassel. It is sort of an amalgamation of early and late war features. Nice Samesaya, water quenched gendai, single haiken and no same on the grip.

akikuni.PNG

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Here's a late war kaigunto.  Note the fuchi that almost has a built-in seppa and has that, oh what to call it?, flimsy, bright, cheapily-made look to it, like the souvenir fuchi.  Also, dig that horrible dai-seppa!  Has a large-seki stamped Yoshitsugu blade in it.  I wish it had been dated.  I do have a single 1945 blade with the large seki stamp, so it's possible this was made that year.

Picture 1 of 24Picture 24 of 24

Picture 4 of 24Picture 5 of 24

s-l1600(5).thumb.jpg.c7da0f9df8329d14f6d4de3e1b448092.jpg

26 minutes ago, Bruce Pennington said:

Here's a late war kaigunto.  Note the fuchi that almost has a built-in seppa and has that, oh what to call it?, flimsy, bright, cheapily-made look to it, like the souvenir fuchi.  Also, dig that horrible dai-seppa!  Has a large-seki

Does appear to have been made in a hurry,never have seen an o-seppa with such irregular geometry,the nakago shape would make it dificult to get a good wedge fit for the tsuka as well.only an observation not a criticizm. With respect.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

From this photo using a width to length ratio the calculated nakago length  of 243 mm verifies this is a Takayama built rinji seishiki so they did exist! Cool. That is equal to 9.259 inches. Using the total blade length of34.75 inches-9.59 =25.16 inches or 2.1 shaku.+-

John S.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Conway S said:

I tried to get a clear shot of the mune stamp, but the numbers are very small. 

Thanks Conway!  That's what God invented the ZOOM for! Ha!  Looks like "2    55" or it's a katakana "ク   55".  There's an extra horizontal line at the bottom of it, though, like a poorly struck "2", so unless someone thinks otherwise, I'm going with "2   55".

8 minutes ago, Kiipu said:

In the picture above, it is 2 with the 55 stamped upside down.  So maybe the 2 means something different compared to the 55?

That does remind me of the blades we see with a lone 1 or lone 2, like they are inspector stamps.  So, in this case, it could be Inspector 2, on a blade marked with "55".  Interesting.

• 3 months later...