Translation on tachi blade

ChrisW

Chris, if Moriyama san can't read it, (I think) it is due to the kanji being nonsensical in Japanese, i am assuming. Kanji are Chinese characters used in Japanese, with their own different pronunciations and meanings. But maybe you knew that already.... :)

Also, the nakago looks suspect as well, and is signed katana style, not tachi style....more flags.

• Like 1

Ah I see.

However, the seller is trying to tell me this sword is 500 years old. I am not so sure.. that or some pictures were mismatched.

If it is alright, here is the link:   https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tachi-Katatana-Edo-Kamakura-Period/264577595869?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2748.l2649

It should still display for you all.

They claim the mei frome earlier belongs to another blade that this blade is paired to.

The first photo you posted is a different sword than the one in the bay listing; huge red flag! Is the seller trying to sucker people in with a bait and switch? Seems that way; also the listing shows the sword as sold for $900, very unlikely.

Chinese komonjo blade surely. Not a Simon Lee blade imo. The price is similar to his best blades but looks more like komonjo item to me.

Good choice coming here first indeed.

Greg

One of simonlee blades has the same inscriptin 夕暮立 on its tang.

Ref . https://www.ebay.com/itm/T10-Blade-Shirasaya-MM350-T10-steel-clay-tempered-Choji-Hamon-BLADE-by-Simon/173868061646?hash=item287b5813ce:g:4~4AAOSwnr9bUz0z

• Like 2

I believe your right Koichi-san my apologies. He (Simon)seems to be making many different looking blades now compared to when I purchased one years ago. The hamon on the sword in Chris's ebay link just looks so much like a komonjo. Maybe komonjo gets some of their blades from Simon. Simon told me years ago people sometimes sold his swords as old blades and he was against it. I might show him a pic and ask him if its one of his and see his response.

Greg

• Like 3

What of the sword in the actual listing? They said they gave me that mei to show  "The signature I sent was to show you what they look like new my were carbon dated and registered by the Japanese museum of swords and historical artifacts."

Which is somewhat humorous as you cannot carbon date metal.. you need a source of constituent carbon.

They claim the sword's been in their family for 250 years.

Here are the supposed measurements: (attached below)

I want an ironclad case to shut them down. In my mind, there's little chance this is legitimate.

post-4665-0-23074000-1577393591_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

You've already got as ironclad a case as you will get. The sword itself is proclaiming itself to be from 2017. The date on it is *literally* 2017.

贰零壹柒

It is a way of writing 2017 that no Japanese smith, now or ever, would employ. A Japanese smith would use the Japanese era name and/or the sexegenary cycle (Chinese zodiac) year marker. The kanji used for "7" on the sword (柒) is not commonly used in Japan. Nothing about the date or the name is Japanese. 

There is no need to shut them down. Just walk away. Nobody tries to convince a buyer about a sword's age by using a modern nakago. It insults the intelligence. Just walk away and don't worry about shutting these people down. You will not be able to do this via the internet.

• Like 5

I sent a pic from the ebay link of the unsigned sword in Chris's link to Simon and he said

" Hi my dear friend. Im pretty sure this abrasive sword is not my work. Both size and scale are wrong . Im pretty sure its made in China. I think its 5 years not 500 as he describes it. But this is just my opinion and thoughts, I hope it can help you.

Thank you for your letter have a nice day. Simon."

Greg

• Like 2

Tell Simon he is much appreciated!

I canceled the order and the seller got very ugly, making threats to have eBay make me pay, legal action, suspend my account, yada yada. They of course did nothing of the sort, so he flung childish insults, relisted the sword, and now claims he is of Japanese history when the seller in question is a Texan con-artist who first claimed Welsh pirate descent. Oh lord, the webs we weave. A shame eBay doesn't give a damn about this sort of thing.

• Like 4

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..