question about "boy's day swords" in general

Hey Gang -

I have what I'm told could be a boys day sword, in the process of polishing.

Now that I have a few months to wait....I started wondering about "boy's day swords". A search here came up with a few items, hoping someone might have a little time to give their opinion.

If they made them just for boys, is it correct to assume a person/child would have to be a certain age,(back in those days) to have / carry a standard sized blade?

Could it possibly be a right of passage to get one, or graduate to the standard size?

Also, In the few examples I have read about it seems there were actual ones made by and signed by big name smiths. Possibly common for a parent to commision one for a child?

Thanks for entertaining the question, I look forward to any answers or info :D

Rick

Now that I have a few months to wait....I started wondering about "boy's day swords". A search here came up with a few items, hoping someone might have a little time to give their opinion.

If they made them just for boys, is it correct to assume a person/child would have to be a certain age,(back in those days) to have / carry a standard sized blade?

Could it possibly be a right of passage to get one, or graduate to the standard size?

Also, In the few examples I have read about it seems there were actual ones made by and signed by big name smiths. Possibly common for a parent to commision one for a child?

Mostly depending on the wealth of the parents, items for children/boys were made even

of a quiet good quality. For the "coming to age" ceremony were made even full suits of Armor

but still of a smaller size then the "adult" ones.

Hi Shan, This person advertises for 'Childrens Swords' in the JSSUS newsletter and he may be able to help with the finer points. I don't know the gentleman, but, worth a go maybe. Albert H. Furuto Ph. (808) 944 9562 email stntmnhotmail.com

Joss, John

this from another thread maybe a email to him and share the info, i looked in sword and the Same but did not find what i was looking for as to the size of swords and age of chidren getting swords. Im thinking yours is going to be a wow factor when finished. A path i led you down that i hope i dont regret.

Hi Rick,

I picked one of these up a short while ago and wanted to find similar items to compare it to.

Mine is 25.5cm Nagasa so is quite small.

I have had one feedback from another collector who stated that mine could not possibly be a Boys day sword beacause its dimensions were nearer to a miniture wakizashi than a mini Katana.

I have no idea if this is likely to be true but i doubt it.

I would love to see the images of your Boys day sword and will hapily supply mine by return.

I will also show you mine when its polished but thats not until November/december.

Regards

shan

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..