Questionable blade

vajo

I would like to show you pictures from a sword that i have.

Katana; 69,2 cm

post-3496-0-63933900-1576785875_thumb.jpgpost-3496-0-92880000-1576785885_thumb.jpgpost-3496-0-50545300-1576840870_thumb.jpg

The sword has a bad polish, a lot of scratches and millions of fingerprints on it. 

Koshirae:

post-3496-0-85978400-1576786087_thumb.jpg

What is it? Period and school. Feel free.

update: Hada

post-3496-0-12496800-1576788320_thumb.jpg

Jean, I have never seen an oil quenched blade with running masame Hada (too bad Chris didn’t post the picture where we can see it), and no dark spots in the peaks of the Hamon, I can even see tobiyaki (I think).

• Like 1

I'm no expert but the nakago looks a bit strange to me. The line where nakago and unblemished blade meet looks splashed rather then an even line natural flow of blade into rusted nakago. The rust to me looks like it was sitting in the sea rather then oxidizing over time.

• Like 1

I'm no expert but the nakago looks a bit strange to me. The line where nakago and unblemished blade meet looks splashed rather then an even line natural flow of blade into rusted nakago. The rust to me looks like it was sitting in the sea rather then oxidizing over time.

It would be stranger if the line was straight, as if it had been masked off and artificially patinated that way. Even if the nakago is masked, there is usually some variance due to the polishing stones.

• Like 1

I want to sell that sword, but it is a question to sell it as a showa-to or older sword. So i want to figure out what it is. If someone unteached buy it as showa-to he will probably destroy it by self polishing or sharpning, because it has a low worth he could think. If i would sell it as older sword and it is not older than i could have a problem.

I agree with Hamfish, sell it with the preponderance of what it appears to be. To my eyes, there is quite a lot that has occurred with your sword. The tsuka appears to have partial same' replacement. The mune and shinogi look rounded by age or mechanical buffing. The patina of the nakago looks simply weird, chemical aging? The blade itself looks as though it has been sanded as well as chemically cleaned. Other than that , it's fine...

Does it show past polishing, does it drop in thickness (Kasane) from nakago to blade, is it ubu-ha ??

Simply sell it truthfully for what it may possibly be, this is the fun, as well as frustration of Japanese sword collecting!

Good luck,

Dave M.

• Like 1

I’d say it also depends on how much and where you’re going to sell it. If on NMB, a simple link to the discussions we’ve had about it should make clear that the blade is questionable and opinions are all over the place, so no foul play can be held against you.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..