Tsunahiro Hira Zukuri Wakizashi (Soshu) For Sale

Daso

Hello All,  Really Fun Wakizashi I've enjoyed for a bit but looking to buy some others.  Original description from when I bought it below. From examination, I believe this sword is older than Shi $1,000 + shipping and I'll cover paypal fee. You can email me directly at dariussolomon@yahoo.com

This Hira zukiri style wakazashi looks more koto then Shinshinto but was attributed to a later generation of Tsunahiro.  It comes mounted in an older shirasaya with sayagaki. The sword is O-suriage and still retains a soshu kanji at the bottom. It is classic Soshu with horimono of a dragon entwined around a ken engraved.

The sword is classic Soshu with an undulating notare with ko-gunome. There is much activity seen in the hamon. The kitae is of mokume with masame. There are remnants of a bonji character on one side as well. This sword looks to be Koto but had been thought later per ninteisho for which papers were lost. A beautiful old sword to maybe restore and enjoy for years to come.

NINTEISHO

DEN GÔDAI (Later Generation) TSUNAHIRO

Mei inscription: So (The rest is cut off)
Length: 1 shaku 3 sun 1 bu
Kitae: Mokume and masame nagare
Hamon: Notare and ko-gonome
Bôshi: Sugu(ba), saki hakkake
Horimono: Omote – kurikara, Ura - slight amount of bonji remaining
Nakago: Two mekugi ana, yasurime is katte sagari
Remarks: Sagami no Kuni, around Bunka (1804-1818)

post-3622-0-35659300-1576644247_thumb.jpg

post-3622-0-28609400-1576644253_thumb.jpg

post-3622-0-30816400-1576644259_thumb.jpg

post-3622-0-30023300-1576644267_thumb.jpg

post-3622-0-36300000-1576644275_thumb.jpg

post-3622-0-60429100-1576644282_thumb.jpg

post-3622-0-03187400-1576644291_thumb.jpg

post-3622-0-47098700-1576644299_thumb.jpg

post-3622-0-25770600-1576644310_thumb.jpg

post-3622-0-57565100-1576644491_thumb.jpg

post-3622-0-59554700-1576644593_thumb.jpg

I'm STILL surprised this blade hasn't sold yet even at the previous price. I remember lusting over it when it was still on Moses' site. If I were still in the States, I would gladly have bought it.

For the advanced, and especially beginning, collector, this really does mark off all the boxes. Previously papered, in decent polish, excellent shirasaya with sayagaki. I agree with the sentiment that this is more than likely koto Tsunahiro. Must have been a tiring day at shinsa. For those in the US who do not want to hassel of awaiting overseas items, this really is a good piece at a really good price.

Good luck on the sale!

• Like 1

I have a couple of questions regarding this sword listing and I was wondering if you might clarify.

The listing says: NINTEISHO

If there is no Ninteisho, where did the information come from and how do you know it is accurate? Was there a worksheet or photo of the Ninteisho perhaps?

Could you explain why you think this blade is Koto opposed to the Shinshinto (Bunka) attribution?

Thanks.

Hi Ed, I will answer for Darius regarding the NTHK certificate. They would issue a different type of paper for swords that received less than 70 points in shinsa (60 - 69 points). I've seen this written as ninteisho and shinteisho alternately. I am attaching the a copy of the papers here. BTW, this was not my sword but I am familiar with it and had a copy of the scan saved.

post-457-0-06138200-1576684469_thumb.jpg

Thanks Ray, I figured there must have been some information somewhere.

Could you explain why you think this blade is Koto opposed to the Shinshinto (Bunka) attribution?

Above was a typo, actually meant to ask why Darius thinks it older than Shinto?

First off Thank you everyone for the comments.  I have enjoyed owning this sword and pleased to say that it sold (Not on NMB) today but will miss it as well. 

Hi Ed,

As I most importantly stated, I am no expert, but a slow learner (and easy forgetter) who has now been collecting for a while. A few things stood out to me when looking at the sword.  While healthy with no real flaws, the sword has obviously had an older polish from the past if not more than 1. While I do not expect it had very deep carvings the main horimono was clearly deeper originally, I would also think that the remnants of the Bonji character on one side would have likely been deeper (I doubt one polish would have gotten it to that level) and that in combination with the wakizashi being suriage and cut down to one character of the mei lead me to feel that this sword also had a shape more in line with the curvature of earlier blades.  That is all and just a judgement that fellow members at my local gathering tended to think as well.  Noting scientific for sure and an opinion which I am fully willing to be corrected on. Regardless of it being Shinto or older, it's just a really nice blade I have enjoyed so far.  Regards, Darius

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..