Not a formal kantei …

Guido

… but I’d like to hear opinions about this tsuba. Wakizashi size, unsigned, showing the top view of a coiled dragon in clouds.

Living in the heartland of nihontō, so to speak, I usually don’t need any feedback from the NMB to identify tsuba, but I have a reason to put this one up for discussion. I wonder if people will be as surprised as I was when I present the answer in a few days …

post-12-0-77256900-1576383839_thumb.jpg

My initial impression is Kinai or cast version, but if there's a surprise  twist as Guido suggests I'll  play along and be really wacky and say Goto school maker due to the way the clouds are carved on it.

Feel free to throw rotten tomatoes.

Regards,

Lance

post-1669-0-13053000-1576456266_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Quite frankly, I’m impressed and very pleasantly surprised – yes, it is indeed a cast tsuba, although the way I worded my initial post was (rightfully) met with the suspicion that it might be something else.

The story behind it: I recently visited a sword dealer, and this tsuba was in the middle of his desk. I was surprised, because I found it rather ugly and of low quality, but the convincing patina fooled me at first glance. Curious as I am, I picked it up. I guess you all know the adrenalin rush when you think you totally f*cked up, and broke something, although logic dictates otherwise. Well, I experienced that when I all of a sudden held half of a tsuba in my hand!

After my pulse went back to normal, the dealer explained that it was mounted on a wakizashi he bought, and suspecting that it was cast, he took it off – and accidentally dropped it on the floor, where it broke with a loud ‘pling’.

I admit that I did the slightest of photoshopping to hide the two thin lines on the seppadai where it broke, but it more or less fits back together perfectly.

Sooo, no lecture on how to identify cast tsuba, you guys are way ahead of that. I’m a little proud how far this forum has come in this regard. Kudos to all who answered (and to those who didn’t, but thought “who is this moron trying to fool?”  :laughing: )

:clap:

post-12-0-45833600-1576487573_thumb.jpg

post-12-0-28290700-1576487581_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..