Samuraimonkey42 At it Again

I know there is thread on this guy on the Auctions/Sales forum, but I'd like to get one going here, as there are many of us that never read that forum and almost exclusively hang out here. (there could already be one on this forum, but my poor search attempts didn't come up with any.

He's trying to sell a FrankenFake as a copper-handled NCO. The handle is a fake, the serial number is in the 13,xxx (too high) and the saya is from an aluminum handled 95.

Noobies/Rookies - beware of this seller!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WWII-Japanese-OFFICERS-SWORD-NCO-TYPE-95-COLLECTIBLE-RARE-COPPER-HANDLE/113703961728?hash=item1a7948c480:g:dmcAAOSwALdcmsZn&redirect=mobile

post-3487-0-28366700-1576246526_thumb.jpg

post-3487-0-88938400-1576246537_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

What a horror show of a blade, and the saya looks spray painted then scratched down with a straight edge. This is the very thing that utterly discourages the new collector from ever buying anything decent.

There's a dealer in Limestone, Ontario, that a friend bought two "Shinto" swords from, and asked me to evaluate. I'm an amateur, but with enough of my own mistakes and some excellent mentoring, was able to show him the stamps and serial numbers to contradict what the seller told him. My friend was persistent enough to get his money back, and I've since been able to steer him away from using his own judgement until he has the experience and knowledge to know what he's buying.

I'm new to this forum as well, but see the benefit from all the knowledge here. Thanks for starting this post.

Marc

• Like 4

Thank you for bringing this up Bruce P.

There was someplace else,( I don't recall where), I read a post about this ebay seller... The 1st thing I did was go on to his ebay store and take a look.  You are confirming again what was reported, and what I believed I saw,  that some of the items he sells are a hodgepodge of parts.  And that potential buyers are not being informed some of the swords are not of original completeness... 

I don't want to say the seller is intentionally attempting to misrepresent or defraud... But given the volume of Japanese swords and related items, one would think the seller to be knowledgeable enough to know what they are selling.  

• Like 1

He has been mentioned here before. I remember someone talking about his YouTube videos. I'm not going to be rude about them, because I'm no actor either, but his handling of the swords is very disrespectful and shows a disregard for basic preservation techniques. That I don't like.

• Like 2

Wow, thanks for IDing scum like this, I know I saw something about him in another thread but wow. I really cant stand people that try to decieve people intentionally. I hope he gets his some day. This is why I am hesitant about buying my first sword. Thanks again. 

• Like 1

Oddly, the guy has good feed back, has what appears to be many legitimate items listed, yet for some bizarre reason insists on quite frequently listing something which is definitely fraudulent, yet when warned by a board members or other wise, and rather heed the advice, prefers to continue on with the deception....Crazy!!!

Dave M.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes,  There are several shady dealers out there, but MONKEY is the only one I know that promotes his nonsense with "you-tube demonstrations" of what he is pushing.   As Steve alludes to,  the way "monkey'  treats militaria on his videos is enought to make one run away ...really fast!   … it is disgraceful.     Dan 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..