Kabuto

Ciro

Dear members,

Would you please share your opinions with me on this bowl shown on the pictures.

unfortunately I don't have more than these screenshots because I don't have tat helmet here.

I really would appreciate your help to find out if this could be from edo period, even if it is hard without seeing more pictures and the inside of the bowl.

kind regards,

Ciro

post-4818-0-66470200-1575806654_thumb.jpeg

post-4818-0-32885500-1575806545_thumb.jpegpost-4818-0-73649500-1575806743_thumb.jpegpost-4818-0-50950300-1575806764_thumb.jpeg

Ciro,  Well we can say a few things. First it definitely post dates the 1540's since the fukurin around the peak and fukigayeshi are roped in imitation of the edges of European armour. Almost all of the imported European armour seems to have been presented to Tokugawa Ieyasu who then passed some on to his followers, so it is a reasonable deduction it probably post dates 1600. It was a fashion that went out of favour later in the 17th century. Secondly the shaped edges to the plates of the shikoro are a definite indication the helmet in its present form originated in Kaga province We know from the work of Dr. Orikasa of the Armour Research Group that the Maeda only employed Haruta and odd independent armourers until 1800 so it is a safe bet it is probably Haruta work. The Maeda didn;t take over Kaga until the 1600's which corroborates the post 1600 date. The presence of fukurin on the suji and the igaki around the base of the bowl are a hang-over from the akodanari of the late Muromachi era which again suggests a 17th century date.  So in summary I would say Haruta work from the 17th century.

Ian Bottomley

• Like 3

Agree with Ian!

The nawame fukurin and the utilized hachitsuke no byo (kiku byo) instead of sanko no byo to anchor the mabizashi, let me think, it was refurbished at some point....

Furthermore, "錦" on the fukigaeshi puzzles me...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..