Oribe Chawan

Ed

Howzit guys.

Nice finding Ed..   :)

What a treasure that someone is selling.

I , and, I'm sure others, would have loved to see the foot (Kodai).

Hey ,  SteveM..  :)  appurtenance translation  please..  :clap:

Had the other early Edo Oribe for 4500 from Cab.  :o

Added:

Just seen Steve's post.. I did not think of that.. Momoyama..  That's cheap for Momoyama.

Looks like mid Edo.. 

I forgot, Thanks for posting Ed.. :)

Steve,

I can't authenticate that it is a Momoyama period Chawan, but as you saw the Hakogaki says Momoyama.  It is an extremely nice bowl, that I would have been happy to have regardless.  I put in a bid of what I mistakenly thought was substantial.  When I checked on it again, I was not even close.  :shock:  

post-10-0-46965700-1575673066_thumb.jpg

post-10-0-27010200-1575673082_thumb.jpg

post-10-0-02885200-1575673093_thumb.jpg

post-10-0-17522400-1575673286_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Ed,

I know the feeling.  All too well.  My sympathies.  There was a Yamakichibei tsuba up for auction once.  A really good one.  I put a really good bid on it, which turned out to be laughably inadequate (it ended at over a million yen, just as this chawan did).  

This bowl does seem to be a worthy piece all right (would still like to see photos of the rim, though, as well as to know the dimensions, as later "homage" works are often significantly smaller than the real thing).  Thanks for these extra photos.  Actual Period Kuro-Oribe chawan available for acquisition are very rarely encountered, in my experience. 

Thanks for posting this, Ed. :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Steve

• Like 2

Yes, I felt that I bid as much as I could justify without more proof it was a Momoyama period bowl.  Again, I found very aesthetically pleasing to the eye, but without recourse where do you draw the line????  Obviously others were waaay more convinced than I.

The dimensions are in the last photo in the first group of photos.

Here are a few photos of the rim.

post-10-0-23298300-1575749846_thumb.jpg

post-10-0-28152100-1575749854_thumb.jpg

post-10-0-80898100-1575749865_thumb.jpg

post-10-0-84656500-1575749873_thumb.jpg

post-10-0-70118900-1575749883_thumb.jpg

post-10-0-37437700-1575749892_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Ah, yes, I hadn't scrolled down far enough to catch the dimensions.  Thanks, Pietro. ;-)   Yes, these dimensions are in keeping with what I would expect from an actual period bowl.  Revival works usually have a smaller diameter across the rim, often 12cm or less.  All considered --including photos of the rim (thanks for these, Ed) -- and working only from photos, I would say with some if not full confidence that this is a Momoyama Period work.  Beautiful chawan. 

A couple of years ago, there was another Momoyama Kuro-Oribe chawan that went for nearly 3.5 million yen.  It was spectacular.  Kind of amazing they're ever available at all, really...

Cheers,

Steve

• 1 month later...

I remember watching this for a few days and kept going back and forth on my confidence level of it being true Momoyama/early Edo. Forgot to check back on the result until I stumbled across this thread, and with a 1.5M Yen sale price it's probably legit lol.

Beautiful bowl. However not what I'd consider to be near the pinnacle of this style personally, which says a lot re the kind of bankroll it takes to land one.

WOW, where was it being sold? It does look great, but for that price I must assume it was made by Furuta Oribe himself... ;-)

Cheers, Pietro

That's actually near the tip of the iceberg for this sort of thing...

https://www.christies.com/lotfinder/Lot/a-chawan-tea-bowl-mino-ware-kuro-oribe-5731734-details.aspx

A STUNNING example there ^^

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..