New lower grade red copper tsuba ?

Christophe

Hi everyone, I come back to you again for opinions and advice which are important to help me progress.

I found this tsuba end of last month. Look like a little heavy for a red copper one (130 gas for 6.3 x 7 x 0.4 cm). Patina is nice, but let me think it’s modern one. Maui is really short, so this leads me to think that it is a minor artist. Concerning the pattern, they are engraved, and are in copper and I think shakudo, birds in silver. But I can not decide if the black around the leaves and birds is voluntary or the result of a rather mediocre work.

Waiting for your comments and your opinion on this.

Best regards and all my thanks in advance for your help.

Christophe

post-2115-0-08007000-1575513343_thumb.jpeg

post-2115-0-75504100-1575513353_thumb.jpeg

post-2115-0-50140800-1575513366_thumb.jpeg

Christophe,

you cannot tell the alloy from the weight (or better: density) of an item in hand. This could be an average YAMAGANE or something else. For comparison, copper has a higher density than iron. Ford might know immediately what it is!

The TSUBA decoration does indeed look a little stiff and lifeless, so that may not be the best of works. The black areas could be patina or lacquer.   

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..