Cast Iron Tetsubin/Kettle with Daikoku’s Treasure Sack Motif

djealas

Hello,

I thought I would share these images of a kettle I acquired, just for the sheer beauty of its design.

The tetsubin is strongly cast and wonderfully decorated in high relief. The iron body bears the four-character seal mark of “Ueda Zo” cast in relief beneath the spout. The patinated bronze lid bears all the hallmarks of Ryubundo Zo, a famous Japanese family of tetsubin makers and bronze workers from Kyoto.

This unusually complicated tetsubin was  crafted in the form of Daikoku’s treasure sack. Daikoku is one of the Seven Lucky Gods. His treasure sack, (kinchaku fukuro), is a distinctive fabric money bag which is tied at the neck and represents prosperity. The neck of this basket is encircled by two thickly woven plated iron ropes which are tied into a large bow that terminates in tasseled ends. 

The front side features a special cord knot cast in high relief, a technique used to create the folds of the sack with deep random hollows and depressions beneath a manji character mon cast in lower relief. This reflects intentional damage cast specifically to add the appearance of great age and antiquity to the tetsubin. The quality of the casting is excellent. The top edge of the treasure sack and upper part of the body have been crafted using a very special technique creating the appearance of a cloth material done in iron. I believe it was produced circa 1850.

Thanks,

Djealas

post-2001-0-77305600-1575384083_thumb.jpg

post-2001-0-02119900-1575384100_thumb.jpg

post-2001-0-94974100-1575384125_thumb.jpg

post-2001-0-82025000-1575384137_thumb.jpg

post-2001-0-50427100-1575384149_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Dear Djealas, as you may already know, your tetsubin has another detail that ties it to Daikoku - his magic hammer (as your handle connectors).  We sometimes see the hammer with Daikoku or even alone on tosogu as an allusion to Daikoku and good luck/wealth.

post-852-0-79466000-1575398504_thumb.jpg

post-852-0-21912500-1575398519_thumb.jpg

post-852-0-96791300-1575398538_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

The body has markings that are reminiscent of the old Jomon corded pottery, very cool. I found a piece of Japanese cast iron from a broken tetsubin, while on my excursion to the old plantation where i got my coffee beans for growing; someday i will incorporate it into steel for a blade.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..