Teruyoshi Shinshinto with Tameshigiri.

Tengu1957

Katana in Naginata shape

Teruyoshi started out as a fun Smith but showed skill as a sword Smith. His clan asked him to switch to sword making to help rearm the fief. On his grave market it states he made 200 Katana and 200 Naginata for his Lord. The test cutter was a documented Samurai who did test cutting on the side.

post-4800-0-59925200-1574950549_thumb.jpg

post-4800-0-89530400-1574950583_thumb.jpg

post-4800-0-07456500-1574950609_thumb.jpg

post-4800-0-90289800-1574950631_thumb.jpg

post-4800-0-30577400-1574950656_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Wow. Again.  It's a real pleasure to see such fine examples of Nihonto.  The lack of responses is a compliment in itself. What can you say about perfection?

I would, however, plead for more information about these incredible specimens of yours. I am still learning this subject; and don't automatically know any of the finer points of such masterpieces. Anything you could mention would enhance everyone's knowledge. Thank You very much for sharing.

• Like 1

I would encourage anyone interested in Tamashigiri to buy Markus Sesko's book "Tamashigiri" since IMO it's the seminal book in English on the subject. To understand the relationship between swordsmith's , the government , the testers , and sword marketing it's an eye opener to read this book. I learn something with each piece and have developed an appreciation for the testers. In a time of peace for the Samurai these testers executed 1000's of people and performed fantastic feats of test cutting under strict standards of the government. It was very expensive to have a test done , roughly equivalent to the cost of a new sword by a highly rated Smith. The pressure for the cutter to perform was high and the outcome also would reflect on the Smith. This is not a highly studied area in the west or even in Japan for that matter.

• Like 5

Which is what makes your collection a very important one. 

The specialty that you have chosen is one of proven top-tier cutters. Sure, they are elegant and beautiful. But they are incredibly efficient weapons, first. The sword world has much to learn from such tests. They're not doing them anymore.

I'm surprised at the variations. Some are straight, some are curved, and 3 are even wakizashis. There doesn't seem to be any common element. Except that they are proven performers. 

The one thing we can't see from these nice photos is the geometry. That's the key. What makes for the best cutting profile? Maybe you should consider having them 3D scanned in the future. Maybe you could answer that question. Or even sell some of the repros.

Once again. Gary, Thank You for taking our breath away.  

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..