Very odd mune

Ken-Hawaii

I don't recall having seen a blade where the mune shrinks by 2/3. Any ideas why a tosho would do this? I guess it could be cut down, but I'm not sure what the original blade would have been.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Signed-Mihara-Wakizashi-Sword-Japanese-Antique-Katana-Nihonto-tsuba/184052534391

post-233-0-76422400-1574759306_thumb.jpg

If the hamon that is visible is the actual hamon, the boshi is yakitsume. Ko maru was more usual for Mihara school works during Muromachi according to Nagayama. Is it possible that this sword could be slightly suriage and reshaped to carry as a wakizashi from an original (older) form as a pole arm weapon?

• Like 1

I suspect this is the result of "removing" one or more deep cracks in the shinogi -ji

Maybe I'm seeing things that are not there but bear with me..

The shinogi-ji on one side of this blade seems ok but something else has happened to the other side which I've marked in red.

post-1138-0-85688200-1574836401_thumb.jpg

post-1138-0-64988100-1574836409_thumb.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..