Military sword?

nektoalex

No it was never an officer sword. The Koshirae is authentic. The blade is forged by hand but not in the traditional way. But this doesn't matter. Its a carefully and well made sword.

It was carryied by an employee of the IJA or a lower rank.

I dont know why it has a second mekugi ana we can only speculate.

I cant read the full name. Sorry.

Edit: i notice there was a second hole in the tsuka, hmm...  maybe refitted?

• Like 2

Great sword, I like it very much.

Beautiful Tsuba.

I guess the Fuchi Kashira shows cherry blossoms to?

Looks absolut authentic. Please give the leather some care with leatherfat.

A perfect example of a civillian employee sword. 

compare it here.

http://ohmura-study.net/728.html

That was interesting to read Ohmura's page on this, thanks Chris. He seems to claim that this configuration/pattern was a dedicated "army civilian employee" style. I wonder if that is an error in translation or if it was exactly what he meant? Other than this page, I have never seen anything or any other source calling it as such. Yet, the existance of another sword, fitted with the same style might support his claim.

I don't think these were special order for those with a bit of money but rather something purchased by those who couldn't afford anything better . They really are cheap and nasty .

Ian Brooks

I am inclined to agree, the fuchi-kashira on my example are thin stamped brass... nice menuki though as far as can be seen. One day perhaps a catalogue will turn up with prices.

I increasing suspect that they are just civilian mounts for Showa era katana, pressed into service when the owner got drafted.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..