Help with school if possible

johnnyi

post-3005-0-72715900-1574370254_thumb.jpgHello members. I had thought possibly tosho, but I seem to remember this design being also attributed to another school. Any help with

identifying tsuba would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks in avance.

Tsuba seems to be natural black patina with old accumulations on walls. The surface is hammered with visible layering on the edges. 

Tsuba measures roughly 73.6 mm high by 72.9 mm wide. Edge measures roughly 3.4 mm thick and seppa dai measures 4.3 mm thick. 

Regards, John

Hi Ken, thanks and yes I understand tosho . A Christie's auction some years ago had offered several of these early sukashi types as being tosho, and one I believe to be ko. I will make another attempt to dig the catalogue out of my unorganized mess. I had considered Owari , but is not the thicker seppa dai contrary to owari? I don't know. Thanks again,  John

I tore the store room apart and found the catalogue (Christie's Caldwell 1994) and confirmed my memory stinks!  The tsuba which I had particularly remembered was this one which seems to have some similar features, NBTHK Tokubetsu kicho paper certified as Heianjo 16th century.  I like the idea of Ko-Shoami and thank you both for that. 

Regards,  John

post-3005-0-98719700-1574373388_thumb.jpg

John :)

did you ever see a so called "Ko-Shoami" Tsuba in kind of "square" Geometry ???

i do heartly confess you! NO! i did never see such!

:laughing: :thumbsup:

this is a typical Awa-Shoami my friend!

late Edo!

but very late!

why?

cause there are religious differences...( occuring already lomg before those traditions did find prosperity....but essential to know!)

see:

The Catalpa Bow: A Study of Shamanistic Practices in Japan: A Study in Shamanistic Practices in Japan (Japan Library Classics) by Blacker Carmen.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..