Koto sword

Steffieeee

Hi Steff.

Yes, this is the place alright.  If it is a bare blade then an overall picture as well as details of the point area and the nakago, (tang) will be useful.  If in mounts then we will start with that.

Looking forward to seeing it.

All the best.

Not sure how much can be ascertained about the blade from photos but here are a few. As well as any information about the blade, I'd like to know if there is anything I can do to clean up the blade, it has some staining from light corrosion, nothing too bad, the edge with some chips which I don't actually mind.I was told it was a no nonsense fighting blade which I find appealing but I'd like to learn to appreciate its characteristics more. I'm a collector of arms and armour generally and would like to know more about early Japanese blades

post-5171-0-34628600-1574358719_thumb.jpeg

post-5171-0-71585100-1574358743_thumb.jpeg

post-5171-0-50944000-1574358759_thumb.jpeg

post-5171-0-93968700-1574358784_thumb.jpeg

post-5171-0-93344600-1574358802_thumb.jpeg

post-5171-0-94018800-1574358819_thumb.jpeg

Could you perhaps get bit more focused pictures of the sword as well as numerical data like length of blade from start of tang to the tip, width of blade near the tang and at the tip, curvature between the tip and start of tang?

Do not do any cleaning by yourself.

Looks like very interesting tachi, signature seems to be 備州長 Bishū Osa (rest is unreadable to me) and I'd assume it would be Bishū Osafune (insert smith here) by looking at the length of signature I am seeing.

Hmmm....Signed tachi mei?
Bishu Osafune....?
I would take care of this one...it looks promising. Nice hi. Get some oil on it, and wipe a few times. Keep it oiled for now...nothing abrasive at all on it.
Length of blade from tip to the notch at the back?
Look at that sugata. I'm intrigued.

• Like 1

It's 63 cms from tip to beginning of tang along the back so pretty short overall. 8 mm wide at the same point beginning of tang habaki area and about 5mm at the tip level with the point ridge...

So it is 8 mm thick at MUNE MACHI which is a healthy thickness. The width could be interesting, too. The position of the MEI implies that it is very probably not shortened.

From what I can understand the hamon is very straight and uninteresting? Is that true or am I missing things about the blade that are noteworthy. Not having really looked at Japanese blades much before it's hard to know what to look for apart from the basic measurements etc. I'm assuming it's a good quality piece from the age and style but later blades seem to have more flamboyant hamons etc?

To restate what is mentioned above, don't do anything to clean up on your own. This should be looked at by a licensed togishi. This is a interesting sword. Can you please take a clear, vertical photo of the mei (no angles and in focus)? It looks like the mei is intact enough to be read, certainly in-hand but probably also with a good photo.

I was told it was a sadahisa sword when I bought it late Kamakura. I know there's also a sadahisa in the 15thc as well as two in the 13thc. But I have no idea more than that could be incorrect. 13-15thc is good enough for me. Would be nice to get it really nailed down. Would the habaki be an original fitting or something done later to fit the blade? It's Gilt copper

While it is a guessing game I think I am seeing lower portion of the second last kanji as 儿 , which would make me guess Mitsuhisa 光久 or Motohisa 元久 and sword being potentially late Nanbokuchō - early Muromachi. I thought it was longer by looking at the pictures and estimating, it is a small and slender sword then, must be very light in hand?

Yes pretty light but I've nothing really to compare it with. Compared to other Indian and Islamic swords I have it's light and one handed use.. total blade length from point to end of tang is 79.5cms

While it is a guessing game I think I am seeing lower portion of the second last kanji as 儿 , which would make me guess Mitsuhisa 光久 or Motohisa 元久 and sword being potentially late Nanbokuchō - early Muromachi. I thought it was longer by looking at the pictures and estimating, it is a small and slender sword then, must be very light in hand?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..