Zombie tsuba... raaaauuuughhhh!

Could the vertical layer be silver?

Normally the layers are horizontal. Jean do you have an idea how they forged it vertically?....

Chris,

as I wrote, it could be lacquer, but also a different metal coating that was less attacked by corrosion. It is certainly not caused by 'vertical forging'.

I am always interested to learn from well made items, but I am afraid this one will remain an enigma in this late state of disintegration, as long as it is not in my hands for close inspection. 

• Like 1

Btw they must have found a "tsuba" pit in Japan. There are some cheap nice Tsuba now at ebay from a seller with a lot of rust issues.....

Yes, that happens from time to time. I remember a German dealer who bought a number of TSUBA from Japan which were exposed to saltwater for a while. I believe he had hoped the potential customers wouldn't care about the corrosion issues....

A dubious tsuba from the same seller was discussed in this thread. They must have paid for "sponsored" status on eBay so they show up in all of my tsuba searches.

Cheers, Pietro

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..