Question about this motif?

jmoto

Hello Everyone, 

First time poster here and new to the world of nihonto collecting. Very impressed with the wealth of information here on the forums so I thought I would ask a question. I was wondering if there was any thoughts on the motif of this daisho.

Any insight would be very much appreciated.

Katana 

WBinXhZh.jpg

Pztv8NRh.jpg

EipZTAoh.jpg

DDtekqHh.jpg

vx0msnKh.jpg

Wakazashi

TS4l6Fch.jpg

EOpbm2ih.jpg

sDMKDvJh.jpg

3hFYlYVh.jpg

FeE630Jh.jpg

Hey Jmoto,

I'm away from the books at the moment, so I'll do more research later.  However in the interim, on your wakazashi kashira the three Chinese sages (?) are playing musical instruments.  Japanese sword fittings often depict Chinese subjects and legends.  These instruments are related to gagaku and are a Tsuzumi (drum) and Sho (mouth organ) in Japanese.

post-852-0-32462700-1573077615_thumb.jpg

post-852-0-77647800-1573077719.gif

post-852-0-44992900-1573077736_thumb.jpg

I like Malcolm's idea, but I think that it is the same three individuals (instead of seven different individuals - see explanation below) and the Seven Sages aren't associated with musical instruments.

Instead I think that it is "San nin yoreba monju no chie" which translates roughly as "if three people get together then they will have the wisdom of Monju".  It's like the Western "two heads are better than one".  This is often depicted in Japanese art (e.g., netsuke) as the "Three Dancers" (with drum, sho and mask - see the wakazashi's kashira) but it is also depicted as three individuals studying or doing some activity.  Monju is Monju Bosatsu and is one of the wisest characters in Buddhism (and is associated with a Shishi - see below).

When we look at one side of each fuchi, we see the three individuals "putting their heads together", but on the other side of each fuchi, we see only one individual in contemplation/activity.  I think that this is trying to show the "three are better than one" aspect.  This is further bolstered by the choice of shishi tsuba because of the the shishi's association with Monju.

post-852-0-50973500-1573082808_thumb.jpg

I found this quote in Joly about the Three Dancers: "If three men associate they have between themselves the intelligence of Monju Bosatsu. This proverb is often applied to the three dancers so frequently met with in netsuke, the drummer, flutist, and mask dancer."  I think that Jmoto's kashira shows the "three dancers" - I see the drum and flute for sure, but what about the mask?  It's usually depicted as a guy putting on or taking off a mask.  Do you think that is what the character on the right is doing?  If so, then I'm sure about the "San nin yoreba monju no chie" motif.

post-852-0-06523900-1573159400_thumb.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..