Kinko Tsuba?

Death-Ace

Hey guys, this comes off a blade that I bought a month ago (my last).

Juji Mokko gata in shape, and I believe copper (Yamagane). It looks to me like a Kinko school tsuba, maybe I could be wrong, maybe a Kanagushi? Pics are not mine, but will get better ones when I pick up the blade next time I'm on leave in the States.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: Photos rotates to correct position.

post-1009-0-89947700-1572770802_thumb.png

post-1009-0-50645000-1572770842_thumb.png

• Like 1

Dear All.

If any of you has the catalogue of the Festing - Backhoff sale in 1993 there is a very similar tsuba described as, "Of oval form, with slightly raised rim, carved in relief with breaking waves, inlaid with scattered fans in cloisonne enamel, the rounded rim with karakusa in shakudo hirazogan."  The description goes on to add that the cloisonne elements are clearly a later addition.

Apparently the tsuba had hakogaki by Kazutaro Torigoe attributing it to Nishigaki Kanshiro II.  They also give references to Tsuba Kanshoki p 163 and  Higo Kinko Taikan p 241.  I don't have either of these volumes.

I think you need to show this to someone who can advise but I agree that this one should probably get it's own box and perhaps a trip to Ford for some professional restoration.

All the best.

Geraint - I have both volumes and the tsuba above isn't even close in quality to the one pictured in Torigoye, 'Tsuba Kanshoki' (Japanese language edition, 1964 - not the later English language version):

post-83-0-59820300-1573067172_thumb.jpg

The one pictured in HKT is not the same one as that from Tsuba Kanshoki but is extremely similar.  There is also an example in the Nishigaki book by Ito san sensei, #167 which is similar in design but of different shape.  

• Like 1

Very nice tsuba.

Although there are similarities between this tsuba and the 2nd Kanshiro tsuba, especially in the carving of the waves and the decoration of the mimi, I dont think that the tsuba in question was made by Kanshiro.  It is well known that Ko Kinko workers were of great influence to the Higo schools and that is what I believe you have here. Basically its overall shape and the carving of the mimi would be very unlikely for Kanshiro, also the hitsu ana shape and the seppa dai area again rarely seen in kanshiro works so when taken together I think ko kinko is far more likely. 

the 2nd kanshiro was apprenticed at a young age to the Goto school and this had an influence in the carving of his waves, so they differ greatly from the first master but have closer affinity with the ko kinko and goto form which makes it harder to distinguish between the schools in cases like this one.

If it were mine I would certainly consider a gentle clean or restoration as I think it could easily look quite magnificent afterwards and worth the investment. Great find.

Kindest regards 

michael 

• Like 3

Hi Pete, 

the tsuba at the top of the thread but I understand your question but the other ( Torigoye example ) at least has a typical Kanshiro dote mimi. Where as the first example I feel has too many points against it being Kanshiro so perhaps ko kinko is more likely. i dont like the hitsu ana shape on either and prefer more Higo influence like the attached example by the first kanshiro. 

kindest regards 

michael 

post-485-0-08199100-1573758051_thumb.jpeg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..