Need some advice for first purchase.

DaveFarr

Newish member here.

After Christmas, possibly looking to purchase a katana. I'm not a collector but have a deep appreciation of blades. I don't know why but the attraction extends to Japanese blades and not so much others. For many years I have admired and have been looking on this site for some time and have seen some private blades exchanged for a reasonable prices, I have decided that since my knowledge is very limited I'll steer clear of Ebay and pay the premium here for peace of mind. Is there a seller rating here attached to member signature- if there is, I'm not seeing it, likewise are there favored members here to deal with or stay away from. I don't think there is a section for positive or negative seller feedback.

What I want may have a little different justification, I'm looking for a WW2 era blade, practical military fighting sword not civilian- machine or family blade of good quality that the Japanese soldier would have confidence taking into the fight. Taste runs to the Navy style with the O-Kissaki tipped, just a little less common.

Is a sub $2k usd realistic?

dfarr67,

Ken is right about this being a safe place to buy.     NMB is a true fair market, no "ghost" bidders, etc, here, most of the buyers and sellers are erudite so things rarely change hands at unreasonable prices.   As I do not follow this particular market I'll leave the pricing to our experts in this area....someone should be along shortly.

Welcome,

-S-

Now, if I were you, I’d get that nice Mantetsu blade for sale at the moment. These blades are beautiful and you’d have had confidence carrying one to war!

I had almost zero interest in WW2 blades before I came here and the members have convinced me those, be they Showato or Gendaito, are really interesting and a worthy part of the Nihonto history

The prices are really reasonable and I’ll agree that all the members I’ve dealt with were all honest and extraordinary helpful. You can buy blindly here!

Archived