Kabuto Mei help

Chishiki

Very nice kabuto Mark! 

What caught my eyes immediately were the four little posts on the koshimaki next to the mabizashi.......unusual and interesting!

(....and something more)

Thanks Uwe. I assume the posts were for folding fukigueshi. ..... i would appreciate any comments you can give me. Mark

Folding fukigayeshi, normally only the right hand one, were fitted to helmets used by archers to prevent catching the bowstring. I have also seen a similar arrangement where about a quarter of the whole shikoro folded back for the same purpose. I suppose the same feature would have allowed a gunner to get his head in line with the sights of a teppo as well.

Ian Bottomley

Hi Uwe. I agree it’s an unusual arrangement. I don’t think in this case it was to do with archery etc, particularly with such a wide shikoro. I think this was always a kabuto for show. It may have been the fukigueshi were detachable to simply change style/designs. It would certainly would have looked impressive with grand wakidate. Attached is a photo of a helmet by the same maker which was in a previous Bonhams sale. Mark

post-691-0-36539600-1572785166_thumb.jpeg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..