A Tale of 2 Owari? (or not?)

lotus

I think it's the same tsuba that is on sale here.

It might be an artifact of the pictures, but I am puzzled by the way the color of the body appears to "leak" on the sekigane. Should this be viewed as a sign of dodginess?

Cheers, Pietro

The pictures are not very readable, but the second appears to show that "leak" of body color on the sekigane that I was referring to in my earlier post (then again what do I know, maybe it is some legitimate phenomenon).

Cheers, Pietro

none is Owari.- Sorry!

# 1 is harsh looking for any Geometry and Surface flavour- todays called  "Flesh" - ( i do prefer Angus!)

# 2 is a typical latter Akasaka-stylism copy from a Shoami with a slighther bigger rim then first expected by this school...( so to least fullfill the symmetry of the inner walls most probably wanted...???)

non,-  is authentic!

( Owari Tsuba are always! present! )

this, again,  is a kind of this hundreds and hundreds of so called "serial stuff "  ones again...

Ebay :) !

( i just do really wonder me where they take this from ????

some years ago...i do remember....there were none.... :laughing: )

better:

do see Sasano San´s excellent ( even if near 50 years old ) book "Sukashi Tsuba" !

do buy you this book! please....

do read and learn.

Christian

Yeah, so the first one was on yahoo Japan and went for $350 or so. Enough people thought it was real. The second one came from the web site Richard provided. The person there make tsuba using traditional methods but are indeed modern made. They just look like antique Tsuba. Some pull it off better than others. Attached are a few samples...

post-2278-0-01683100-1574121367_thumb.jpg

post-2278-0-41116300-1574121373_thumb.jpg

post-2278-0-68773000-1574121379_thumb.jpg

post-2278-0-52708600-1574121385_thumb.jpg

Another Owari exercise. Same as my original post. Both Owari? If not, what are they. Both are about 7 cm in diameter, The darker one 5.5 mm in width and the otheer 5 mm in width.

One looks like it has been under the grinder and repatinated by a non professional.

The other looks like a burned tsuba.

Hi Miss Mae West,

From one photo looking top down, The surface treatment or texturing raises a caution flag with me. Yet there are a few in Tsuba Kanshoki that strike me that same way.

So either I am looking at a very good tsuba or a good modern.

If that is a modern like the caption on the photo says.... it would do a significantly better job getting my attention than the others in this thread so far.

Mr. Pickle

I agree that the surface treatment does look a little suspect.

As for the previous 2 I posted, that 1st one is being sold as an antique Owari (only asking 1200) but that site also has some obvious chinese fakes and they also make modern tsuba. The 2nd one sold on yahoo Japan for very cheap but the condition was very poor (lots of corrosion and maybe in a fire like Curran said)...

• 2 months later...

And...   At the risk of getting a new one ripped for discussing a closed auction (which happened to me not tooo long ago on FB),  here's another piece just like the modern piece I posted earlier in this thread that just sold on Yahoo Japan - attributed to the Edo period, of course...  At least somebody got it for an iai tsuba price.

https://www.sendico.com/ayahoo/item/t703248513

Oh, and for posterity, here's an image from the auction - note that I do not own the copyright for this image and it is presented here only for educational/criticism purposes...

post-204-0-83074000-1581183261_thumb.jpg

Best,

rkg

(Richard George)

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..