Woodblock by Yoshitora

Chishiki

Hi. I am interested in this woodblock but all I know is that it is by Yoshitora. Online search revealed he was a prolific artist. But what about this print, who is the Samurai and is this a common theme by the artist? If someone can tell me about this print I would appreciate it very much.

Mark

post-691-0-85955900-1571282427_thumb.jpeg

Hello, 

This is a print from the 47 Samurai, or rather, a character from a dramatic portrayal of the 47 Samurai, done by Utagawa Yoshitora in the mid 1800s. 

It depicts the character Ōhoshi Yuranosuke (the dramatization of the real life person Ōishi Kuranosuke).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C5%8Cishi_Yoshio

• Like 2

Hello, 

This is a print from the 47 Samurai, or rather, a character from a dramatic portrayal of the 47 Samurai, done by Utagawa Yoshitora in the mid 1800s. 

It depicts the character Ōhoshi Yuranosuke (the dramatization of the real life person Ōishi Kuranosuke).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ōishi_Yoshio

Thanks Steve, that’s really interesting. I like the print a lot, although it seems not particularly rare. There is small fine detail and not too colourful and the theme is classic. Thanks again.

Mark, several of our members have woodblocks from similar series. What is there not to love about that one, and such a famous character?  :thumbsup:

Steve, swift and accurate service!  :clap:

To tell the truth, I have just today been struggling to identify a Yoshitora triptych. I think the first two kanji are partly erased, possibly 光義 (Mitsuyoshi?) which could be 田井光義 Tai Mitsuyoshi, a Busho in Kamakura times whose mother was alleged to have been a 遊女 Yu-jo lady. His lady servant, or wife, is holding his Tachi in the traditional way. I think we can see the word 遊 for pleasure/play.

Or the scene could be 徳川光義 Tokugawa Mitsuyoshi, said to be a good swordsman, calligrapher, master of tea ceremony etc.

Or I could be horribly off the mark.

Mark, several of our members have woodblocks from similar series. What is there not to love about that one, and such a famous character? :thumbsup:

Steve, swift and accurate service! :clap:

To tell the truth, I have just today been struggling to identify a Yoshitora triptych. I think the first two kanji are partly erased, possibly 光義 (Mitsuyoshi?) which could be 田井光義 Tai Mitsuyoshi, a Busho in Kamakura times whose mother was alleged to have been a 遊女 Yu-jo lady. His lady servant, or wife, is holding his Tachi in the traditional way. I think we can see the word 遊 for pleasure/play.

Or the scene could be 徳川光義 Tokugawa Mitsuyoshi, said to be a good swordsman, calligrapher, master of tea ceremony etc.

Or I could be horribly off the mark.

Piers thank you for your input. One last question and it’s ok if you don’t or can’t answer. What is the value of woodblocks such as rhis by this man? I tried to do some research but prices seem to vary. Btw.. I really like the facial expression of this samurai. Very solemn, serious and sad,

Could you please post a photo of the woodblock of yours. I would love to see it.

Mark

Mark, hanga prints are another minefield. Malcolm, who often appears here around sunset, is your man for this. Each print will be in a different condition according to a series of factors; there may even be later copies out there. A sunburnt print, while genuine, may fetch nothing. One in pristine condition will fetch top dollar.

To find an average price, enter the artist and series name into a search engine and see what comes up, such as art dealers, auctions, etc. Many sites will not reveal prices reached, but some will.

Not yet taken a photo, Mark, but I will post here in due course.

• Like 1

Mark, hanga prints are another minefield. Malcolm, who often appears here around sunset, is your man for this. Each print will be in a different condition according to a series of factors; there may even be later copies out there. A sunburnt print, while genuine, may fetch nothing. One in pristine condition will fetch top dollar.

To find an average price, enter the artist and series name into a search engine and see what comes up, such as art dealers, auctions, etc. Many sites will not reveal prices reached, but some will.

Not yet taken a photo, Mark, but I will post here in due course.

Thanks Piers. Once you get a pic of your woodblock perhaps you can make a new thread here so we can enjoy it.

Mark

This one seems in good condition, from a generally expensive dealer, and it goes for 480$. Yours appears to be in a somewhat worse shape - see the stain on the lower-right part - thus I guess it would fetch less (unless it happens to be a much rarer subject, I am not familiar with this series).

Cheers, Pietro

• Like 2

This one seems in good condition, from a generally expensive dealer, and it goes for 480$. Yours appears to be in a somewhat worse shape - see the stain on the lower-right part - thus I guess it would fetch less (unless it happens to be a much rarer subject, I am not familiar with this series).

Cheers, Pietro

Thanks Pietro, much appreciated. Piers get the camera out we are waiting :)

Mark

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..