Centuries old extremley rare samurai sword found in basement...

• 2 weeks later...

The question, again, isn't whether I think a mei is good, bad, or indifferent. The question is whether YOU think returning a sword to its putative owners is fake news, & if so, why? If you can't or won't answer that simple question, Tom, shut up & go away. You're a troll.

The centuries old samurai sword might be a stretch here... as is some museum exhibiting it. At least i sort of hope so, knowing how hard it is to exhibit even something deserving. The rest is.. well anyone can make a gift of a sword. i never quite understood why in cases like this there is an aura of benevolence involved, since the emotional connection between the Japanese family and the sword is obviously lacking.

And why should it exist actually?

The item is from what limited is shown might be half an inch improvement over some 1904 pattern parade saber bayonet - and in questionable condition at that. Which somehow nobody expects to find the "rightful owner" of.

Kirill R.

• Like 2

Tom,
I expect what the article failed to properly elaborate on, is the fact that it maybe had a surrender tag on it and they found some of the family who decided to put it in one of the many small museums. I doubt it is any significant find.
The confusing part is where they mention the descendants of a samurai and a mon. That part can only be fake...if the sword had a mon it would be from the smith, nothing to do with the owner. And the surrender tag won't have had a mon. So yes..I expect part of the story is confused and misrepresented.
In the grand scheme of things, the story is "cute" but insignificant.

• Like 7

Like I said earlier with some sarcasm added to the post, Mr. D. Is not helping the cause of spreading the extremely intresting preservation and collecting hobby with his jabs and cryptic messages.

Trolls begone etc. happy thoughts from me. Peace etc. etc. Except I am a Finn so... :)

Happiest regards,

Antti

• Like 2

I absolutely agree you are the (leader) King who sits on the Throne. I haven't become the prince yet, but, am a Gentleman. You do realize Kings are first on the scaffold. To my skeptical detractors, has this news article become so important for irrational thinking. Lets try and have some decorum on the NMB. My tireless efforts have gone to support this hobby for over 50 years. Truth and nothing but the truth,that's my motto. Now play nice.

Tom D.

In most of these cases the disconnect between the American and Japanese side is unbreachable. American believes he returns an ancient family heirloom with grandpa's soul trapped inside. The Japanese side is scared and panicked.

A weird person just called them and threatened to ship ground mail the explosives and grenades left behind by Uber Werwolf SS banfuhrer Danke, pardon - an Extremely Dangerous Sword Weapon from the war nobody likes.

Their neighbors informed them that owning such weapon without a personal safe and a number of permits which nobody but extremely rich families knows how to get is certainly highly illegal.

And also if their kids cut themselves with it, the police will take them away.

And they can't just throw it into "landfill" bin, because the neighbors will see it, alert the police and the entire family will go to prison.

After holding meeting after meeting with the extended set of relatives they finally find a 97 years old grandpa who agrees to take the sword into mountains and dump it in a forest. He is old enough not to care about the consequences. The family appreciates the selfless nobility of his last sacrifice.

They'll politely tell the Americans that it goes into a very important museum. Translated from Japanese it means the hardest "NO!" possible. Two steps above "I would love to meet you, but unfortunately I am very busy and very much away for the next year" or even "I will love to do that for you, despite having a busy schedule", or even "Yes, we should do it", said with a pained face and after a 20 second pause.

Kirill R.

• Like 9

• 1 month later...

In most of these cases the disconnect between the American and Japanese side is unbreachable. American believes he returns an ancient family heirloom with grandpa's soul trapped inside. The Japanese side is scared and panicked.

A weird person just called them and threatened to ship ground mail the explosives and grenades left behind by Uber Werwolf SS banfuhrer Danke, pardon - an Extremely Dangerous Sword Weapon from the war nobody likes.

Their neighbors informed them that owning such weapon without a personal safe and a number of permits which nobody but extremely rich families knows how to get is certainly highly illegal.

And they can't just throw it into "landfill" bin, because the neighbors will see it, alert the police and the entire family will go to prison.

After holding meeting after meeting with the extended set of relatives they finally find a 97 years old grandpa who agrees to take the sword into mountains and dump it in a forest. He is old enough not to care about the consequences. The family appreciates the selfless nobility of his last sacrifice.

They'll politely tell the Americans that it goes into a very important museum. Translated from Japanese it means the hardest "NO!" possible. Two steps above "I would love to meet you, but unfortunately I am very busy and very much away for the next year" or even "I will love to do that for you, despite having a busy schedule", or even "Yes, we should do it", said with a pained face and after a 20 second pause.

Kirill R.

FUNNY but I'm afraid it's true☹

• Like 2

Kirill R.

Made my evening, thank you. It is clear that you understand Japanese social workings quite well and that I have no idea how to get my sides back from orbit.

Yes, unfortunately, common Japanese have no clue about sword ownership and that it is relatively easy to establish and maintain. All they need to do is register with the police for a temporary permit and then monthly regional shinsa for torokusho.

To be fair, even the baby-faced rookie customs officers at both Tokyo airports have no clue. Whenever I bring them a sword, they huff and puff, take out the big book of procedures, go through it 10 times, ask a superior (who is equally clueless) and call the local police. Depending on the time of day and which airport (Haneda: inexperienced and bumbling) one could be in for up to 4-5 hours of “fun” establishing what to do. So, if you want to bring in swords and get through within 1-2 hr go via the larger and more experienced (sword wise) Narita.

There is much aura and enigma surrounding swords and indeed ordinary people do think it is illegal or proscribed.

Kiril’s sarcastic take on all of it is hilarious indeed.

• Like 2

One other possibility if there is anything to add to the amusing scenario above is, in the land where married harmony is rather the exception, the closest legal relative and quietly enthusiastic husband might be living in an apartment with a wife who flat-out refuses to have the thing in the house. End of.

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..