A true novice with a blade to ID. Any help appreciated.

Raiderbeater

I have several blades in my possession that I’d like information on. I am at the very start of learning about Nihonto and have “fallen” into possession of these. This one blade is different. It’s a small knife (Tanto?) with unknown inscriptions and a mum carved into it. It came in the scabbard shown. Has a very active looking hamon under the dullness. I may have other blades I need help with as well. Some Wakizashi and other tanto.

post-5028-0-38610700-1570754003_thumb.jpeg

post-5028-0-70789300-1570754019_thumb.jpeg

post-5028-0-49842800-1570754039_thumb.jpeg

post-5028-0-25153500-1570754067_thumb.jpeg

post-5028-0-82915900-1570754087_thumb.jpeg

The photos do not look promising, tourist item, or not great reproduction? Hamachi can move up, but down is not possible; carving is crude, in wrong places, and koshirae crude. More informed opinions will be along soon, I am sure.....Please post your other items.

So it could be the broken end of a katana fashioned into a short knife? Curious what the inscription says.

I think that the inscription was chiseled by someone who was not familiar with kanji.

I guess that the person was trying to chisel the following characters and failed.

(A typical mei of Iga no kami Kinmichi)

雷除 伊賀守金道

日本鍛冶宗匠

• Like 1

I think that the inscription was chiseled by someone who was not familiar with kanji.

I guess that the person was trying to chisel the following characters and failed.

(A typical mei of Iga no kami Kinmichi)

雷除 伊賀守金道

日本鍛冶宗匠

What’s the translation?

• Like 1

So the small knife is obviously a poor example of embellishing a famous makers signature/title? If it’s from the end of a broken sword could the person who re-fashioned it to a knife have tried to replicate the swords original info? Anything I can learn from the hamon pattern once polished? Obviously I now know enough to never try to polish a real Nihonto myself, but this being a possible broken piece with gimei mei (forged signature....is that the way to say it?) would that be bad if I did? The hamon appears very active and I think it would look very neat once polished..even if a real sword tip would it ruin any real value with me trying to bring out those hamon lines? I know I’d never try it on a real one.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..