Saya repair

Harry

Greetings,

I have a waki that fits loose in the scabbard - probably from the blade being carelessly drawn or replaced. I would like to fix it properly but am cautious about making repairs. I don’t want to do anything that would reduce it’s appeal. Seems pretty simple though - a few small shavings of wood adhered to the interior mouth of the saya would do the trick. I am curious what other collectors would do with it? Advise welcome!

Harry W.

Before inserting the blade and habaki to serve as a clamp for the wood strip, I lay in a thin strip of plastic between the wood and habaki.  If any of the glue squeezes out it won't discolor anything we care about.

Grey

Good idea. Thanks. I fixed mine this afternoon. Followed the procedure in the video. Made my own shavings with a hand lathe. It did require a little filing. Fits like a glove now. :)

• Like 1

I have done this on a couple different saya over the years with hinoki that I got from acheap saki cup from ebay. I used wood glue and haven't had any problems since. When you file you make sure you only file outwards and only with the saya pointing koiguchi down. Good luck

Greg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..