Hair Dryer on Wet Blades?

Death-Ace

Hey guys,

With new and improved ways to preserve Nihonto, such as the isopropyl treatment and microfiber cloths, its dawned on me to ask this that one has told me recently. For polished blades or whatever reason a blade may be wet, a hair dryer can be used to avoid or evaporate water in the grain.

While I can see that working, albeit if its been that long it has gotten inside, I can't see it really making a difference. I can't see myself doing this. One, even though I do not use water diluted products, is that it could bliw dust or dirt, depending on the cleanliness of the area.

The second is, could this actually have any effect on the hamon? Most hair dryers only go to 140 fahrenheit to reduce risk of burns. I could see this having less risk on a blade than leaving in a hot car or those who use boiling water to loosen a habaki. But I wouldn't think a temp this high would affect the structures in the hamon?

Brian,

Thanks for the response, brother! I guess that solves my OCD with it. I figured it wouldn't, being a low temp. Good call on the lacquer. Let's just hope no one is cleaning their blades with just soap and water and uses a hairdryer as a quick solution, haha.

Why would you need a hair dryer?? Wipe with a towel and oil. Repeat on a weekly basis for the first few months after polishing or wetting throughly / submerging (if you ever did that with the blade, which I highly doubt)

If it is the saya you want to draw humidity out of, you have numerous choices: dessicant gel 1kg bags, rods, ZCorr VPCL bag

I personally oil and keep in ZCorr gun bag locked in a safe with dessicant gel bags (which I oven dry for 2 hrs every few months)

• Like 2

Thanks, Steve, but since the bags are now selling on Amazon, I've pretty much quit competing.

I pretty much do what Michae has sone, except I don't trust dessicant bags, as they can hygroscopically deliquesce. I use a Dri-Rod, instead.

Hi Ken,

I couldn´t not find it on Amazon. Do you have a link...?!

thx

Klaus

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..