Dragon Tsuba - Edo or modern reproduction?

vfox

That's alright, it was selling pretty cheap so I was thinking why not. To be honest, the average person would find a fanciful design like this more interesting than say a plainly designed but well forged Myochin piece (for example).

I don't understand how this could have been made in the Edo period. It seems like too much work to do by hand. Was it poured into a mould or something?

Jay

That's alright, it was selling pretty cheap so I was thinking why not. To be honest, the average person would find a fanciful design like this more interesting than say a plainly designed but well forged Myochin piece (for example).

I don't understand how this could have been made in the Edo period. It seems like too much work to do by hand. Was it poured into a mould or something?

Jay

:dunno:

Why buying a fake tsuba? Make no sense if it is cheap or not?

• Like 1

:dunno:

Why buying a fake tsuba? Make no sense if it is cheap or not?

I don't know for sure if it is a fake, and if its not I'm curious about how they would have made this with the technology from 200 years ago.

Edit: actually I realize casting works from the Edo period can be quite detailed, so I take that back.

It still makes an interesting comparison with the other pieces I have.

Logan a copper tsuba is made like this way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkhWh19fTG4 (Fords video is eye opening)

1:25 until 2:50 minute

Jays tsuba is made like this way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yq80JjiTFoo

this will never be a homogeneously material. Poor quality and not like this what i understand under a Japanese sword guard.

Maybe its good enough for another sword from other parts of the world.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..