Who are currently the best horimono carvers?

I have a very nice shinshinto sword made by a noted maker that I would like to get first class horimono carved into both sides of the sword.  

I would like to hear from the NMB members who they think is the best living horimono carver and whether they are willing to put horimono onto older swords.  I would like for them to sign the nakago of the sword as well if they are willing.  

I would ordinarily not want to change the originality of a sword, but the sword has shallow carvings currently that have gold and silver inlay, and small amounts of the inlay are coming out due to a recent polish, making me think that it is better to go this route.  

Robert, you may want to get a few of the recent Shinsakuto Tenran Kai catalogs so you can see examples of the work of contemporary artists. At that point, someone such as Paul Martin may be able to assist as an agent with the craftsmen you would like to work with. A few comments on your question above.

• If the horimono on your sword now is original, there will be some devaluation in having it recut.
  • There may also be artistic limitations working around the current horimono.
  • The sword may need to be subjected to another polish after the horimono is done. Even if the horimono is limited to the shinogi-ji it is very possible that the sword will become scratched in the ji while this work is being done. This was also stressed to me when I was looking at having an umegane in the shinogi-ji in one of my swords.

Best regards,

Ray

• Like 10

Robert, some of the best horimono I've seen were by Yanagimura Senju who is in the video above.  The subject younger fellow in the video is his son Yanagimura Masayuki (art name: Soju).  Sadly, I believe Senju san passed away last year, but Soju san has won quite a number of awards for his work.  You could try Mishina san as Peter suggested, and also Sasaki Takushi san who between he and his deshi polish many Shinsakuto, or perhaps send an email to Ginza Choshuya as they often have swords with hori by both of them.    

Edit:  Ah, here is a page from Ginza Choshuya with links to swords that both have engraved.  

http://ginza.choshuya.co.jp/sale/new_generation/new_gene.htm

• Like 6

I really just like more Subtle Carvings on blades. One that enhances the blade, rather than just covering it up. Seeing them go well into the body of the blade with these wonderful designs just gives me mixed feelings. I LOVE the artistry, but I also just love the look of blades themselves, with maybe a subtle character to enhance the overall look.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..