Koi Tosogu Set

E_Arroyes

Hi everyone!

I want to share with you a set of tosogu I recently made (First I found Tsuba /FK and menuki, later Kozuka&Kogai). This set is for a new koshirae project. I'd like you to share your opinions as well as which artisan would do you like to send it to make the koshirae.

Thanks!

post-4522-0-42230200-1569184541_thumb.jpg

post-4522-0-80138900-1569184557_thumb.jpg

post-4522-0-24177000-1569184567_thumb.jpg

post-4522-0-61774900-1569184573_thumb.jpg

post-4522-0-56480800-1569184579_thumb.jpg

post-4522-0-73355500-1569184588_thumb.jpg

post-4522-0-44116200-1569184597_thumb.jpg

post-4522-0-44001800-1569184608_thumb.jpg

post-4522-0-71667100-1569184618_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Sorry to be the bad cop here but while the workmanship is in many respects not too bad I don't find the overall impression of any of these pieces, apart from the fuchi kashira (but even these are a little odd to my eyes), to be convincingly Edo period and Japanese in origin.

Hi Ford,

Thank you for your opinion, I'm glad that someone like you give his opinion.

I know that is not high quality, the set is for mounting, but, this set was bought to a very reputable seller from UK, except the kozuza & Kogai set, that was bought to a Japanese dealer,so , I'd like to know which things make you think that this not Japanese.

Thank you for response!

Emilio

don't pay too much attention to my opinion, I'm perhaps being far too critical.

The things that caught my eye and bother me;

The nakago ana in the tsuba seems very long, too long really for a blade to be correctly positioned.

The kozuka hitsu is oddly positioned compared the the opposing kogai hitsu.

The waves seem a bit 'uncomfortable' in the way they are carved, they lack a sense of flow and rhythm.

The kozuka and kogai look fairly convincing in general but the fishes are poorly shaped, their bodies look awkward. This is imo not down to poor workmanship but rather poor design layout.

There are many aspects that I'd instinctively take as being signs of authenticity that here are contradicted by the issues I've mentioned.

The nanako looks authentic and the dirt and verdigris is apparently correct.

The gilding all looks pretty authentic too, although the kogai does look like it has a bend in it, maybe the photo is distorted.

But the point is if you're happy with them and you're mounting them you should ignore my niggles, I'm being far too exacting in my assessment and without the pieces in hand probably being unfair to the work..

Emilio

don't pay too much attention to my opinion, I'm perhaps being far too critical.

The things that caught my eye and bother me;

The nakago ana in the tsuba seems very long, too long really for a blade to be correctly positioned.

The kozuka hitsu is oddly positioned compared the the opposing kogai hitsu.

The waves seem a bit 'uncomfortable' in the way they are carved, they lack a sense of flow and rhythm.

The kozuka and kogai look fairly convincing in general but the fishes are poorly shaped, their bodies look awkward. This is imo not down to poor workmanship but rather poor design layout.

There are many aspects that I'd instinctively take as being signs of authenticity that here are contradicted by the issues I've mentioned.

The nanako looks authentic and the dirt and verdigris is apparently correct.

The gilding all looks pretty authentic too, although the kogai does look like it has a bend in it, maybe the photo is distorted.

But the point is if you're happy with them and you're mounting them you should ignore my niggles, I'm being far too exacting in my assessment and without the pieces in hand probably being unfair to the work..

Hello again Ford, first of all thank you very much for responding, the truth is that I would not have realized all the things you comment and now I understand what you say. As you say, it is a set to assemble and I guess once assembled those details will go a little unnoticed.

The truth is that I am quite happy with the set, but the opinion from an expert is always welcome. Thanks for your time!

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..