Japanese naginata for sale

ww2colorado

Do you guys think this Naginata, based on its current condition, is worthy of a Shinsa? I know the saying that out of 10 Hizen Tadayoshi signed swords, 11 are Gimei, but would this also apply to Naginatas ? From my untrained eyes, the blade seems well forged and controlled, but i'll leave that to the experts

I would just say paper it and you will have your definitive answer. Five different guys will give you five hundred different answers here...some may say its bad but given the opportunity they would buy it if it was infront of them on a whim, gamble or shot in the dark. Some may even say its gimei but then tell you they are not an authority on this matter and it should go to shinsa... So their two cents is worthless ????.

Either way i wish ya luck. If it was infront of me i would have bought it...

Haha, i appreciate the advice Chuck. I have yet to make it to a show with Shinsa so this will be a great excuse for me to head to Chicago or Tempa next year. There is also the question of what to do with this short cut off pole, perhaps i will find a woodworker locally who can at least extend the pole for the time being with a freshly made piece, otherwise it looks terrible on the display!

Maybe have another pole made? I would leave it. A soldier who probably fought the Japanese or maybe raided a dojo or home lol, or bought it as a gift and the only way to get it home was to sacrifice the wood...either way its history.. It being made was history... And the war was too so it tells a story and that in itself is pretty cool ????

• Like 1

I was able to track down some information on this bundle of sword and the owner that brought it home. The gentleman's name is PFC WM Finkel and was attached to the 97th Infantry Division. This unit arrived in Yokohama shortly after the surrender and was responsible for disarmament/security of the region until 1946. It is not a wonder that the private was able to send so many swords home then, but during that time some crafty Japanese business person must've machine made a crude blade and stuck it in a set of real gunto furniture, sold it to PFC Finkel, and that's how that "fake" Gunto missing the Tuska-Maki made it back to the states

Cool stuff. I just grabbed up two veteran bringback lots . one of 5 katana and then two more... I love the history on them. I was wondering about the fake blade but now that i think of it was obviously a wartime souvenir of sorts and makes sense...

Swoop up the veteran bringback hordes and sort out the details later ???? ????

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..