Japan Festival in Atlanta this weekend

I am curious to know if anyone has looked at the option of holding a sword show in conjunction with a large event such as the Japanese Festival in Atlanta this weekend. If it was part of the Japanese Festival there would be an issue with large numbers of inexperienced people (and kids) to contend with. In that case precautions would need to be taken for those with tables. Perhaps it could be separate yet connected or not allow young children. Just a thought. It would increase the number of people attending a show and might start more interest in the next generation of collectors. Anyone look at this before?

In that the festival has been around for ~33 years I'd say yes, it's probably been looked into and in that it's never been done, well - therein lies your answer. 

Now then, the basic problem is cost, which would be prohibitive.  Second, as weaponry of ANY kind is prohibited, it's not possible unless you go off site.  To do that you would probably have to use the Embassy Suites which is adjacent and again would be cost prohibitive for that weekend in that their show rooms would be booked by large corporations and their rooms sold at a premium and most likely booked a year in advance if not more.  The people who book for tables at the existing sword shows are already complaining about fees so no one is going to pay more.  Finally, there is also an issue that you really don't want a large crowd at a sword show as it's too dangerous and the chance of theft escalates dramatically.  Seriously, who in their right mind is going to put tens of thousands of bucks worth of goods on a table where anyone could snapgrab?  Unfortunately, it just wouldn't work.

PS:  I've been going to and exhibiting at practically every major US sword show for the last sixteen years so I do have some experience here.

PPS:  the major dealers go to the DTI at the end of October so they would be unwilling to attend as they were just at the San Fran show.  This is why there haven't been Fall shows in years.

Hi Shannon,

Boy.... that looks awkward, having the Japan Festival right in the heart of KoreaTown.

It is also about as far away from the airport as you can get.

I appreciate the idea more than Pete does, and know Atlanta to be a place where a much younger whitecollar workforce looks to be mentally engaged on weekends. If aware of it, there will certainly be more local visitors. It is very different from Tampa, but I don't think it would work in the later half of the year. There are numerous conflicts with significant activities in Atlanta, San Fran Show, and the Japan DTI.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..