Same Masakata artist? - compare Tsuba

benatthelake

Recent tsuba I purchased (pictured on left).  I've owned the one on the right for a few years. 

Mei looks the same...Masakata.   

Agreed?

I believe there were a few different artists who signed Masakata.  One from the Ito School and one who went from Choshu to Edo (from previous discussion on this board).

Thanks!

Ben

post-2424-0-44093000-1568591748_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Recent tsuba I purchased (pictured on left).  I've owned the one on the right for a few years. 

Mei looks the same...Masakata.   

Agreed?

I believe there were a few different artists who signed Masakata.  One from the Ito School and one who went from Choshu to Edo (from previous discussion on this board).

Thanks!

Ben

Looks like the same hand to me. Not just in the mei, but in the aesthetics and workmanship as well.

The kanji seem to be 正方 which according to this page both translate to MASA. Am I missing something ?

I have a Masakata tsuba but signed with different kanji: 武州住政方 (Bushu Ju Masakata)

attachicon.gifBushu Masakata.png

That list isn't an exhaustive list of all possible readings. The most common reading is probably kata, but when used in names it can be read in a number of ways, including kata, masa, and about 10 other ways. Since the preceding kanji (正) is almost always read as Masa when used in a two-kanji name, we can be confident that the following kanji doesn't have the same reading.  

• Like 1

That list isn't an exhaustive list of all possible readings. The most common reading is probably kata, but when used in names it can be read in a number of ways, including kata, masa, and about 10 other ways. Since the preceding kanji (正) is almost always read as Masa when used in a two-kanji name, we can be confident that the following kanji doesn't have the same reading.  

Thanks Steve for the explanation. It does make sense now.

• 6 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..