Is this a Masamune tanto?

jblev2

A nice Shin Shinto tanto, however it is no Masamune. Have a close look at this picture and see what similarities you can link between your dagger and an original Masamune? One of the first things you will learn about Japanese swords is trusted dealers are few and far between, and most of the good ones post on this board. Beyond those good sellers I would want to be very careful and hope to know more than enough to be dangerous because there are lots of "Masamune swords owned by the Tokugawa" out there from seemingly reputable dealers. Applying Occams Razor to any sword you are looking to purchase is a good start and will hopefully prevent any purchases you may come to regret in the future.

post-3926-0-44685400-1568350788_thumb.jpg

The object in question sort of wants to pass as Yasutsugu... I doubt the intent of engraving the mon was even to show it belonged to Tokugawa. I might be wrong and hope to be corrected in this case, but I did not see (apart obviously from very many Yasutsugu) swords in Tokugawa (either Mito or Owari) collections with mon engraved on nakago to demonstrate ownership. Its not really Japanese tradition to do so.

Papers, signatures on hako are places where the ownership is often stated, sometimes one gets to see signatures chiseled on nakago saying this is owned by such and such, but engraving mon is just not the thing. Habaki can have mon. Hako can have mons.

Mon on nakago typically means a shinto smith who was given the right to engrave such mon.

Kirill R.

• Like 1

In the real world I generally agree with you Kirill. It seems that this tanto may have some sort of fabricated provenance though. I would like to know a bit more about what that provenance is (verbal, origami, etc). I do not see it outside the realm of possibility that an aoi-mon was added to support a claim of Tokugawa denrai, but the details around this sword are unclear. We do see that aoi-mon appear as a sort of 'marketing gimmick' on the koshirae of many low-quality, late export pieces.

Photo of the Kokuho Kikkou Sadamune attached (亀甲貞宗). Once a possession of the Owari Tokugawa, the mon on the nakago is believed to be associated with ownership of the sword.

post-457-0-43228900-1568393956_thumb.jpeg

• Like 3

This is a torokusho to which Ray referred in your other thread. Just legal sword registration papers and does not attest to the authenticity of the mei and is not provenance.

Hoanh

Ray said:

"A number of Kyodai Original's swords are shown with small pieces of paper called torokusho. I want to point out that these are not authentication papers, they do not provide verification of the signature, confirm provenance, indicate quality, etc. They are only licenses for the swords to reside legally in Japan."

• Like 4

Thanks! I had very vague recollection concerning mons being engraved, but sort of dismissed it... Went through some books and indeed saw a number of higher end blades signed by mon - in all cases the signature was so worn out it probably dates to Momoyama or such. Long old tachi blades.

Kirill R.

Jon,

Just so you are not wasting your cycles with the auction company, ask them:

1. What would they accept as legitimate appraisals? NBTHK papers?

2. What is their appraisal in claiming authenticity of their swords?

NBTHK appraisals are expensive and time-consuming. Until you get clear answers from them, it’s not clear how to proceed.

Hoanh

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..