2 vet bring back Japanese swords And a yari spear

Dean1981

Hi all

I posted this on a thread earlier but because I’m new here I was told to post them here. These have recently come from the US and where bought back from the war by a USMC vet.

Here are some pics, what’s really neat is the carry case for one of the swords, it can be worn on the back. I’m sure I’ve seen a period photo of Japanese soldiers wearing them on there backs.

I’m no expert just a new Japanese enthusiast, any thoughts on these would be most welcome

Thanks

Dean

post-5101-0-09594600-1568122955_thumb.jpeg

post-5101-0-60693600-1568122967_thumb.jpeg

post-5101-0-69693300-1568122980_thumb.jpeg

post-5101-0-63553000-1568122996_thumb.jpeg

post-5101-0-09440700-1568123014_thumb.jpeg

post-5101-0-78546500-1568123042_thumb.jpeg

post-5101-0-95508300-1568123055_thumb.jpeg

post-5101-0-49501700-1568123071_thumb.jpeg

post-5101-0-70391100-1568123087_thumb.jpeg

post-5101-0-42844600-1568123106_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

Dean,

That's a very interesting group there! I'd really like to the pics of the full blades on both and would you mind getting good pics of the tangs of each sword?

The really short one is quite unusual! Also, those canvas covers are fairly rare, but to have one that was fitted for back-carry is really rare!

Dean,

That's a very interesting group there! I'd really like to the pics of the full blades on both and would you mind getting good pics of the tangs of each sword?

The really short one is quite unusual! Also, those canvas covers are fairly rare, but to have one that was fitted for back-carry is really rare!

Thanks for the info and comments, I’ll get those shots for you when I finish work.

Yours

Dean

Dean,

Here you go

The tang is very very rusted, I just love the carry case on this

post-5101-0-43835700-1568139365_thumb.jpeg

post-5101-0-13472200-1568139375_thumb.jpeg

post-5101-0-08470300-1568139388_thumb.jpeg

post-5101-0-24374500-1568139401_thumb.jpeg

post-5101-0-22357800-1568139411_thumb.jpeg

post-5101-0-44396600-1568139420_thumb.jpeg

post-5101-0-58458600-1568139431_thumb.jpeg

post-5101-0-27632300-1568139441_thumb.jpeg

The smaller one is almost certainly a snapped blade that was repurposed, so it is dead as a Japanese sword, but of a lot of interest to militaria collectors.
I find it very, very odd that a yari went to war. Maybe a personal artifact or confiscated from a civilian.
Nice lot of items.

• Like 1

The navy sword has no hand guard& add the shoulder strap ,very interesting.

The smaller one is almost certainly a snapped blade that was repurposed, so it is dead as a Japanese sword, but of a lot of interest to militaria collectors.

I find it very, very odd that a yari went to war. Maybe a personal artifact or confiscated from a civilian.

Nice lot of items.

Thankyou for the kind comments

As I’m a WW2 collector, the fact it’s been repurposed in the field makes it historically fascinating for me,

The yari spear is also very interesting.

Thanks again

Dean

• Like 1

Nice lot of items.

The navy sword has no hand guard& add the shoulder strap ,very interesting.

Found that period WW2 picture

post-5101-0-41934100-1568142809_thumb.png

I’m the worst person to say the age of an old blade, but I want to say the kai blade is pre 1800 at least. I could be wrong though..

Can we PLEASE see the tang on the shorty?!

I can’t take it apart, It won’t budge, I will try one more time after work and post here.

Yours

Dean

That "kaigunto" tsuka looks like it has two mekugi ana. It also has a civilian fuchi. I am assuming it is pieced together(when and where is the question)

Edit: how is that tsuka held on the katana(longer blade)

Hi Logan

I’m guessing you could be right, my thinking I’s the Tsuka and Fuchi could be a Frankenstein of parts, I’ve seen war bring backs with all sorts of fittings to accommodate the new owners needs, who knows. Then again it could have been captured like this and not changes during the war etc.

everything on it looks correct for wear and has a uniform age, sword, saya, straps etc.

The sword is stuck in tight to the tsuka, not sure how but its been in there a very very long time with little to no play. What’s also interesting is that the throat of the back carrying saya and the sword itself go perfectly and have been made to accommodate this sword, length and width etc

Thanks

Dean

That's some nice stuff! Very interesting! The shortened blade especially, from a historical standpoint.

Rubber mallet is the way, if you want to get the Tsuka off. Just pull the mekugi and tap lightly on each side, alternating. Eventually it should come off.

Worst one I had to deal with was from simulated Ray Skin on the tsuka. It was probably made of cellulose acetate, or some other substance, which lets out corrosive gasses over time. It turned the ITO to a RED color over it. It also went the other way, and really got the tang rusty. We got the tsuka off, but every hit with the hammer caused the ITO to degrade a bit more.

That one doesn't appear to have that issue, so it should eventually come loose.

That's some nice stuff! Very interesting! The shortened blade especially, from a historical standpoint.

Rubber mallet is the way, if you want to get the Tsuka off. Just pull the mekugi and tap lightly on each side, alternating. Eventually it should come off.

Worst one I had to deal with was from simulated Ray Skin on the tsuka. It was probably made of cellulose acetate, or some other substance, which lets out corrosive gasses over time. It turned the ITO to a RED color over it. It also went the other way, and really got the tang rusty. We got the tsuka off, but every hit with the hammer caused the ITO to degrade a bit more.

That one doesn't appear to have that issue, so it should eventually come loose.

Thanks Tbone

The military aspect of these historical items sure is interesting. And just goes to show that sodiers/marines in the field will adjust and use anything they have to good measure

Thanks

Dean

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..