Shot some pictures today...

I spent about 4 hours today trying to light and shoot my blades. I went in thinking "This is going to be a challenge" it turned out to be far more difficult than I anticipated.

My setup today was:

1. Pair of photo grade LED lights. I tried barn doors, softboxes, and everything else but ended up just using them as "naked" lights. One was on a boom arm, the other on a normal light stand.

2. The shots here are all taken with my iPhone. Once the lighting was set, that was more fun than the big camera, as the big OLED screen made it easier to play. I have a bunch of shots from my D5, but frankly I haven't looked at them yet and doubt they are very good. All the editing was also done on my iPhone while watching a thunderstorm with my kids this evening...

The blades:

1. The Wakazashi is (according to Markus's translation) signed by Hōki no Kami Fujiwara Nobutaka (伯耆守藤原信高), and ranked as Tokubetsu-Hozon Tōken.

2. The Katana is (according to Markus's translation) signed by Sōshū-jū Tsunahiro. The Sayagaki is "Written by Tanzan Hendō [pen name of Tanobe Michihiro]"

post-5023-0-85969100-1567917828_thumb.jpg

post-5023-0-92598300-1567917848_thumb.jpg

post-5023-0-54950300-1567917866_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Good photos, Chris, but I'd be happier if the roses & blades were exchanged, position-wise.

It's interesting - I don't yet have an aesthetic sense for how to compose these blades. I'm good (aka: experienced) with people and landscapes, but inanimate objects are new to me.

I was trying to find "interesting" things to add, and playing with position, but nothing yet felt "right". On the plus side my daughter (9yr) had a blast helping me. She arranged the pink roses and petals, and was having fun "Stirring" the fog...

(We "almost" went fruit ninja, adding in kiwis, oranges, and other colorful fruit! Had I seen a dragonfruit in the store, I would have tried that... )

[...] your daughter shouldn't quit her day job :glee:

We both had fun, which was really my main goal. Fortunately my day job isn't taking pictures of nihonto, or else I may be in real trouble!

I'm looking forward to try again some day soon.

[...] I would be completely satisfied with a good photo of the blade showing all features, and a neutral background. 

I totally get that. The problem is it's been done - even these exact blades have had beautiful pictures taken of them. You can see the Katana here; those pictures Moses took are technically stunning and I would be hard pressed to get better ones during my first ever nihonto shoot. The amount of technical excellence in Moses's pictures is really amazing.

My personal preference is for something a bit more artistic, doing something a bit more creative and (ideall) different than what most folks have seen before.

• Like 1

The photos are well done, but even so most people here are traditionalists.  Even if the composition is not necessarily my taste, as long as you like them and are able to enjoy quality time with your child, then it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. If you are having fun then keep on keeping on.

Two concerns, first having a 9y/o in close proximity to a sharp and pointy sword could be dangerous.  Accidents are much less forgiving with roses than swords.

Second, isn't "fog" made from water and glycerin. That sounds like a great way to produce rust on your swords.  It appears that you have a couple of nice swords, so be very diligent in cleaning them after your shoot.  

• Like 6

Ken, I am not certain about condensation per se, but regardless of temperature, humidity or any other factors, if the fog is swirling around the sword for the photos surely some of it will settle, stick, adhere, fuse, bond or in some manner end up on the surface of the blade.

Any way you cut it, moisture on metal = increased risk of oxidation.

• Like 3

[...] having a 9y/o in close proximity to a sharp and pointy sword could be dangerous.  Accidents are much less forgiving with roses than swords.

While you are certainly correct, I let my kids hold them under my supervision. They have proven responsible with Model Trains, RC Cars, Knives, and now swords. 

They are very aware how sharp they are... 

> Second, isn't "fog" made from water and glycerin. That sounds like a great way to produce rust on your swords.  

The fog is dry ice, so I'm not quite sure the breakdown. There's certainly some water in there, but it's mostly CO2. 

Either way, I broke down the swords and fully cleaned/oiled them once done. 

//Chris

• Like 1

Understood...but and its a big one.

The focus should be the sword. Background should be way secondary.

Romantic should be samurai life is as brief as cherry petals...so a few fallen petals expreses it with less is more.

Yes, i was thinking a sparse scattering of cherry blossom petals on a black silk background would add some interest and romance without distracting from the nioi-guchi  we want to look at.

And maybe lay off the bong hits until after you're finished. ;)

• Like 3

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..