Help Identity Our Mons.

IJASWORDS

Thank you Uwe and Steve M.

Hi Steve, the menuki in JP's image are the standard Kaigunto pattern of Maru  Ni Yamato Zakura with the addition of the central Kamon in Silver.

The Gunto Menuki which you illustrated (http://www.jp-milita...viphtml/70.html) are slightly different, being without the circle, I think called Yae Yamato Zakura  (Cherry Blossom with stamens and petals.beneath) 

See Ohmura:

http://ohmura-study.net/905.html

I’d seen that Uwe, Thanks! :) but when I checked, I stumbled upon the Aoi mon for them. Now, that was Wikipedia, so maybe they got it wrong or just put the Tokugawa mon since they were related.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Bruce,

it's called Maru Ni Hachisuka Manji (Becase the lines of the Swastika are quite thick, if they were thinner, i.e larger spaced, in same angle, then it would be Maru Ni Itsutsuwari Manji.

manji3.gifmanji6.gif

• Like 1

I have a Kagami Maedate with that Hachisuka Mon, the same thick tomo-e manji. 

Interestingly, if you visit Tokushima Castle Museum, you will see many examples of a reversed Manji too, because as they explained to me, one branch of the family wanted to distinguish their own line from the main one.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Hello

I would like to ask you for help in identifying the Mon or confirming the results of my research.

On the saya of daisho koshirae, the Mon is Maru Ni Mitsuboshi.

According to my findings, the Mon could belong to Katsura Kogoro, later Kido Takayoshi.

There are several people with this Mon on this link, but only one is a samurai.

Katsura Kogoro was later renamed to Kido Takayoshi (木戸 孝允) in 1869 and use another kamon (chrizantenium)

However, I did not find any other credible link that would confirm these findings.

I would be very grateful if you were interested in this character and would share your knowledge.

I attach some photos.

Of course, the family crest belonged to the Katsura family (or other family), koshirae may not belong directly to Katsura Kogoro, but to anyone in the Katsura family, ...but it is still very close to this important man.

thank you very much

Mayo

post-5176-0-44322000-1574752193_thumb.jpg

post-5176-0-52225500-1574752219_thumb.jpg

post-5176-0-75581700-1574763501_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

The original three-star or three-dango Mon had no circle but at some point it was added.

Towards the end of Edo in the confusion of the Bakumatsu, many families claimed Samurai status, and after the beginning of Meiji it must have been a free-for-all.

Here is a billfold or wallet with the same Mon.

post-416-0-15381900-1574822670_thumb.jpeg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Bryce,

It's a variation, yours shows 7 petals and two lines representing the stream.

Normally Kikusui Kamon shows 9 petals and three lines representing the stream, as used on blades forged at Minatogawa Jinja.

The 9, 3 version is the one commonly associated with Kusonoki Masashige (To whom the shrine was dedicated).

http://www.samuraisword.com/nihonto/minatogawa_shrine_masanao/index.htm

:)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hello
I would like to ask you for help in identifying the Mon or confirming the results of my research.
On the saya of daisho koshirae, the Mon is Maru Ni Mitsuboshi.
According to my findings, the Mon could belong to Katsura Kogoro, later Kido Takayoshi.

There are several people with this Mon on this link, but only one is a samurai.

Katsura Kogoro was later renamed to Kido Takayoshi (木戸 孝允) in 1869 and use another kamon (chrizantenium)

However, I did not find any other credible link that would confirm these findings.
I would be very grateful if you were interested in this character and would share your knowledge.
I attach some photos.
Of course, the family crest belonged to the Katsura family (or other family), koshirae may not belong directly to Katsura Kogoro, but to anyone in the Katsura family, ...but it is still very close to this important man.

thank you very much
Mayo

Hi Mayo,

astonishingly your mon is not covered in the books I have, though it looks quite simple (“maru ni mitsuboshi”).

I suspect, that this, like most of the Japanese mon, was utilized by several families (家) over the centuries. Trying to pin down a certain person or clan, might be almost impossible. As Piers said, no rules at some point around Meiji and onwards......furthermore, the new staging of the nobility based on the European model!

So without proper references, I hate to say, your search could be hopeless and ending up only in assumptions.....

• Like 1

Hi Bruce, nice find.

Although the image is not too clear, I'm pretty sure that it is the "Kan - In  Giku"  Kamon  菊紋  variant, which shows as one central 16 petal Chrysanthemum, flat on, which is surrounded at the cardinal points by four flat on Chrysanthemum cut in to make the circle, and at the ordinal points, four side on views of Chrysanthemum and leaves.

It is top line, second from the left in the image below:

9d19893bfd93a7949689c35195868fc5.jpg

(Also, see page 177 of the Matsuya Piece Goods Store catalogue - reprinted by Dover under the title " Japanese Design Motifs)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...