Help Identity Our Mons.

IJASWORDS

Waiting on this one to arrive, a Mon I haven't seen on a sword before:

attachicon.gifs-l1600.jpg

John,

Forgive my nosing into something I know almost nothing about, but a website purporting to show Samurai clan mon says this one is "Kunishi". Link: http://www.samurai-archives.com/crest3.html

I don't know how much credence to put on that. I have a hanging wysteria mon, that most guys say is "Fujiwara", but this site says it is "Naito".

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A place name too.

As a stand-alone word, it also has a meaning of, 'standing in for someone who came before'.代居 代わりいる https://kotobank.jp/word/%E4%BB%A3%E5%B1%85-2025539

〘自ワ上一〙 前者に代わりその地位につく。代わってその地位にいる。
※蜻蛉(974頃)上「廿よ日のほどにかくれさせ給ひぬ。東宮、すなはちかはりゐさせ給」
  • Like 1

Bruce,  I saw that kamon on a helmet in Turino, Italy, that had been given to the Duke of Savoy by the Japanese mission. It isn't listed in Iemon no Jiten by Seishi, so the family mayhave died out.

Ian Bottomley

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Perhaps not specifically related, but it has always puzzled me, on a Koshirae that was purported to be a Generals there are three cuts through the leaf of the cherry blossom on the opposite side of the Kabutogane. This is something I have never seen before on another sword.

20200815_171029.thumb.jpg.dba91b7b65b493c05f868499b928c4f2.jpg20200815_171051.thumb.jpg.be5be44121dba8beaff2ad47f6ab0163.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...