Gunto pedigree ID requested

Sea King 11

Good day to all,

Just joined this forum and this will not be an original post: Please ID type, make and model of my sword. There's a bewildering amount of information for which I have limited to time to study up on (as much as I'd like to make a living at it). Be that as it may, please, examine the photos of an estate sale find and lend your translation skills if you can. One thing I'll note after perusing around sword sites is that the tassel looks to be too good condition-wise compared to the rest of the pieces. If it's a fake, I can take it. If not, I'd like to solve this mystery.

Much appreciated.

post-5086-0-18770200-1566869756_thumb.jpg

post-5086-0-75200100-1566869756_thumb.jpg

post-5086-0-20523300-1566869757_thumb.jpg

post-5086-0-66120500-1566869757_thumb.jpg

post-5086-0-10726900-1566869758_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

It is a WWII Type 98 gunto (military sword). It is signed KaneNori...look about an inch above this signature...if there is a stamp (either a "square" Seki stamp or a "flower" Sho stamp), it will mean it is semi-machine made. If there is no stamp then it might be hand-made. There was a Seki (town) smith named Kojima Kanenori who started making army swords in 1939.

There should be an inscription on the opposite side which will be the date.

I notice it has a small silver disc on the metal "cap" on the end of the handle...this is a silver "mon" (family crest), if you take a photo of it someone here might be able to tell you which family/families used this mon.

The tassel is correct and legit...just a bit faded, which is common.

Regards,

• Like 1

Dear Chris.

Please ad your name to your posts as we all do.  A nice find, a pair of gunto menuki and a decent re wrap for the hilt and this will look fine.  If you decide to do that then please do ask for recommendations here.

All the best.

Hello,

Nice pick up especially with that hanging chain and bag...Well worth having the tsuba ( handle ) wrap replaced and menuki ( small metal placements) replaced...Most collectors would agree that this is an acceptable restoration...Sorry but am in the U.K so cannot recommend anyone in the U.S but I’m sure othe U.S members have recommendations ....Only my opinion,but nice piece of history as it is..

Regards,

Paul.

Good day again, Chapter 2.

Submitted for your review are additional photos as suggested. I removed the hilt and re-examined the tang again: no stamp as Mr. Trotter highlighted, and; no date (or other markings on the reverse side). Perhaps not all swords were stamped with dates (?). Great information that you're all contributing.

Regards,

Chris

post-5086-0-44568100-1566947490_thumb.jpg

post-5086-0-62951800-1566947494_thumb.jpg

post-5086-0-67873900-1566947499_thumb.jpg

post-5086-0-31399000-1566947504_thumb.jpg

Hi Chris,

Well, having no stamps and no date says this sword was most likely made privately by Kanenori, that is, not in the SEKI official sword manufacture system. You will need to show it to a knowledgeable person for an opinion on whether it is gendaito (handmade sword) or Showato (semi-machine made). Just looking at the "style" of chiselling used in his name, it reminds me of the "usual" WWII mass-produced sword "official name-cutting guys" style, but I may be wrong.

The fittings look good quality (total of 8 "washers" on either side of the guard...a good sign). Also, having the good fittings with the silver mon indicates that the buyer was a "well-to-do" officer.

The mon is the KIRI (paulownia plant) with blossoms called 3/5. This is the mon of the Matsudaira clan who were governors in several provinces. It is also that of the Ashikaga clan, and after the 1800s was used by many families...pretty good mon to have.

Kojima Kanenori's real name was Kojima Taro. Born in 1907. During the earlier years of the war he served as a swordsmith and teacher in the SEKI "system" so made various quality swords. From around 1943 he was a Rikugun Jumei Tosho (official Army Smith) so made very good quality handmade swords. You really need to get it looked at by someone who knows stuff.

I'm not sure but I think he continued after the war and won many prizes and praise for his work. Worth checking out and if a good blade, get the hilt re-bound in the correct military style to return it to "original WWII sword of historic value"...just my opinion..

Regards,

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..