Ko Kinky School Kozuka

Chishiki

Hi. Just wanted to share my latest buy, a ko kinky school kozuka. Now I am sure the maker thought he was making something like a mushroom? But surely at some point one of his colleagues, customers, or he himself thought, hey that looks like a penis.

Now I always try to be pure of mind but even at my mature age I still have a juvenile side. So, does anyone else see a dick or is it just me? How about generations of owners? Did they see it? Hey, what’s that mans name, the bloke with the penis kozuka?

Sorry if I upset any prudes.

Mark

post-691-0-22196800-1566051815_thumb.png

post-691-0-98587400-1566051845_thumb.jpeg

post-691-0-78367000-1566051867_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

I believe the phallus form item on the left may be a Genbu (tortoise/snake composit).   It is one of the four compass point guardian spirits that protects Kyoto on the north.   It is represented at the Kenkun shrine where Oda Nobunaga is interred.   As he both died and was buried in Kyoto this piece may be a reference to him?  For more related info refer to: black tortoise- on Wikipedia.  As for the creature on the right I'm not sure what it is, or what it's significance may be.

Cheers,

-S- 

To the right I see two frolicking horses.

The composition on the left...? Guido's suggestion seems plausible. But I keep seeing two rocks and between them the fanshape makes me think of racked gravel pattern (青海波紋 seigaihamon). Could the bit on the left represent a dry landscape garden?

post-14-0-60979600-1566162160_thumb.jpg

(Source: an illustrated guide to Japanese traditional architecture and everyday things. Yamamoto Seiichiro)

Put them together and the overall composition represents the cultured samurai ideal of the Edo period.

Just some thoughts.

I don't see sceptres, rocks, sand gardens, or frolicking horses, perhaps my vision is failing!   Are those horses...strange looking.   The only thing I'm certain of is that I'm not certain what the kozuka portrays.

This piece is like a Rorschach test.

-S-

p.s.- Does anyone see a tortoise/turtle head in the picture below?

post-3432-0-99241500-1566184796_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

It depends what you mean by a tortoise/turtle head. ????

WARNING: naughty joke!

https://www.google.co.jp/amp/s/www.urbandictionary.com/define.php%3fterm=tortoise%2bhead&=true

Joking aside, I can see what you mean as it does look like a little face, but personally I don't think the motif represents any Testudines of any form. I am willing to have my mind changed thought.

Thanks to everyone for contributing to the thread. Whatever the maker was trying to achieve has been reduced to a gaijin in a foreign land thinking his design looks like a dick. That refects badly on me I know, but hey, the Japanese are no strangers to phallic fun.

post-691-0-58701800-1566335967_thumb.jpeg

• Like 2

I see a stupid locking shark killing the loch ness monster while it is smiling. Followed by a dog that looks like Mackie Messer.   :dunno:

attachicon.giflochness.jpgattachicon.giflochness_.jpgattachicon.giflochness_2.jpgattachicon.giflochness_2_.jpg

Vajo, very creative. You could be right. The only reason I bought this kozuka is to have fun with the theme. Thanks for joining in.

Mark

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..