Meito outside Japan?

I was just wondering: are there any meito outside Japan or are they all in Japanese museums or into private Japanese collections?

Has anyone ever seen one in the USA or elsewhere?

There is an exhibition catalogue titled meito in North America exhibitied at the 2005 San Francsco show. This included 5 swords an Awataguchi Hisakuni, a nijimei Kunitoshi, Den Kunitoshi Den Nagamitsu and Hiromitsu.

As you might expect Meito outside of Japan are few and far between and histocially when discovered they quickly found their way back.

I am not aware of any in Europe but that doesnt mean they dont exist

• Like 2

That’s very interesting Paul. Have you seen any in person? If so, do they really stand out except for their historical value. And by the way, do we know approximately how many Meito were made or still exist?

Hi JP

simple answer to all your questions..... No :(

I haven't seen any of those published nor do I know how many exist

I read somewhere that no new ones could be created or come out of the woodwork as one of the stipulations is they have to have continuous provenance throughout their history. So if doesn't already have a name ( Meito- literally sword with a name) its not going to get one! Not sure if this correct but it sort of makes sense.

Looking closely at the images of those exhibited they look excellent examples of what they are. However I would guess in more than one case the ownership and historical reference will add to the importance.

• Like 1

Thank you, Paul.

Yes, it makes sense that they have to have had a name for several generations in order to be Meito and also a historical provenance. I know some of them, the best known I guess, but in your first reply, I was puzzled that x-den swords could become Meito. I would have assumed that they had to be made by masters and signed by said master. If they are x-den, it means they are unsigned which seems pretty strange for swords with a name. I thought the makers would be recorded at least in Meikan.

I think it depends on what is defined as meito.

The ones published in "Meibutsu" - no.

Then there is a class of swords which are supposed to be identified as named swords from classic Japanese literature works of Heian-Nambokucho periods. Some of those are in Meibutsu; all have weak provenance, with clearly lossed verifiable transmission sometime between mid-Nambokucho to 1510 or so. Still they belonged to important Edo collections and are accepted as original Heian or Kamakura period swords, at least "in public". The answer here is also probably no.

Then there are swords with sayagaki, usually from Meiji-Taisho period that say that this sword was in pocession of x for generations, maybe dating back to y, and its called "grievous lighting" or some other name.

Usually the sayagaki is done by a shop owner (who were the main experts at the time), and those examples do come up from time to time for sale anywhere.

Taking in mind that cynical scholarship is absolutely not welcome in nihonto, whether with respect to American "Ashikaga Takauji's own armor" or Japan's own "Kogarasumaru", almost all of the "meito" examples are taken at face value as originals of appropriate age and exact provenance.

Kirill R.

• Like 4

Kirill, I have a sword with a gold inlayed "name", which means "Quiver" (i.e., for arrows).   It is out being worked on now, but here is an image of the name.  This must fit into your list in between sayagaki and the classical literature.  I always assumed that an owner gave his sword this name and went to the trouble and expense of inlaying it in gold. 

post-620-0-06871400-1566138884_thumb.jpg

post-620-0-65077500-1566138906_thumb.jpg

post-620-0-99001600-1566138924_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

So far I have documented 200+ named swords pre-1450 (will be adding more than few to that number later this year). There are some that are only Jūyō, and many have passed onto Tokubetsu Jūyō. Majority of named swords are Kokuhō, JūBu & JūBi, or have established solid provenance by other means like Kirill wrote earlier.

Those that might be available for purchase probably are discussed behind closed doors by top tier collectors/sellers/museums etc. (or at least that is my guess).

• Like 1

If we are referring simply to swords which have a name, rather than famous named blades which are documented through time, then I will share this one. It was purchased right here on the board several years back. A long Muromachi period Heianjo Nagayoshi yari named Kantetsu (piercing iron), as described in the sayagaki.

貫鐵
kantetsu (lit. piercing/penetrating iron)

壹尺二寸五分
isshaku ni sun go bu

安政戊午十二月
Ansei tsuchinoe-uma jûnigatsu

乙丑
kinoto-ushi

post-457-0-61951500-1566502963_thumb.jpgpost-457-0-45656500-1566502976_thumb.jpgpost-457-0-20584800-1566502980_thumb.jpgpost-457-0-11669600-1566502989_thumb.jpgpost-457-0-72211800-1566502992_thumb.jpgpost-457-0-40365200-1566502996_thumb.jpgpost-457-0-92511800-1566502999_thumb.jpg

post-457-0-08201600-1566502985_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

If referring only to named swords and not historically famous named swords, then I have owned a couple.

The first is named Katsu Ryu Gan or "Dragon Eyes".  Sword was made by Ujifusa for a Minamoto Masayoshi.

The second is signed Ko Mei Jitsu or Old Name and is named Atama Wari or Head Splitter.  Sword made by Echizen Kanesada.

post-10-0-43256500-1566506063_thumb.jpg

post-10-0-76115100-1566506081_thumb.jpg

post-10-0-72375100-1566506486_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..