Poll by request. Your first sword era?

79 members have voted

1. 1. What is the jidai (period) of the first Nihonto you bought?

• Kamakura
    • Nanbokucho
    • Muromachi
    • Shinto
    • Shin-shinto
    • Gendaito (era, including Showato)
    • Shinsakuto
    • No idea. I just bought a Japanese sword.

Showato... remounted in a Edo era koshirae. Even when I bought it, i suspected it was a Showato but it took me some time to be sure of it, having no one to ask. But it was cheap and I still have it, and will keep it because you can never forget what you feel the first time. I felt like King Arthur having found Excalibur!

• Like 2

Like Chris.

Tired and bend waki in broken black saya, missing it’s rest of the mountings. At least signed, “Mune(ie)” (last character was punched through by one of the later placed mekugi ana). Unfortunately, every polisher I asked, refused the job :-(

Anyway, still have and love it!!!

I replied above, Shinto Kanemasa. Only pic I still have is with my 2nd sword, a gimei Yoshimichi, but was clearly Ishido school. Go figure, gimei down the ladder, amazing.

Here they were, off to good homes now:

post-4009-0-78201300-1564796079_thumb.jpg

Only 2 buys since then.

Suifu Ju Katsumura Norikatsu and a Tegai Kanekiyo that I think is a Hosho sword, but what can you do:

post-4009-0-34939700-1564796233_thumb.jpg

post-4009-0-79436400-1564796250_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for posting this, Brian. My first blade was a Shinto yoroidoshi that I still have, but it was more than 30 years later when I started studying Nihonto, & realized what I actually had.

I had been looking for a good hunting knife in a pawnshop in 1964, & was impressed by this really thick blade that I bought for $20. I had no idea that the nakago was signed!

• Like 1

I’m already mentioned mine, the juyo Ichimonji from the kamakura period. It was the second Japanese sword I had ever seen and I bought it sight unseen for a $10 trade. I didn’t know anything about swords but I was overwhelmed with the metallurgy I saw. I’m glad I didn’t cut it up to examine samples at the time.

• Like 3

Been thinking about it and can't remember what the first sword I bought was.  The first sword I ever owned was given to me if that counts.  It is a suriage muromachi katana which had been remounted in Kai Gunto mounts, still have it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Showato. Type 32 ko.   Knew it was a real sword; but didn't think it was Japanese. Was pleasantly surprised to find out that it was a 100 year old cavalry sword.  It was rusty on the outside; the blade was mint. But they have this zig-zag edge that looked weird. When I asked a local knife dealer if he could sharpen it, fortunately he said No. Scuffed it with a sock, putting oil on it. Have learned a lot since then. Good thing my first sword was not a Nihonto.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..