Muramasa Naginata?

MNE

Hello NMB members,

so lately i ran over this naginata online, which wears a changed Muramasa mei. I bet you know the rest of the story. Is anyone here very familiar with his works and sees any similarities to it? Anything would help. Give me your opinions.

Cheers 

Max

post-5047-0-11609500-1564497773_thumb.jpg

post-5047-0-89836600-1564497782_thumb.jpg

post-5047-0-73252000-1564497790_thumb.jpg

post-5047-0-26570100-1564497799_thumb.jpg

post-5047-0-05803800-1564497819_thumb.jpg

post-5047-0-61954600-1564497837_thumb.jpg

post-5047-0-23427400-1564497851_thumb.jpg

<_<

Akin to a Guccii or Prado wallet purchased from Canal Street, NYC.

It is still perfectly serviceable of designed function, but it is certainly a few steps back from what that very fresh looking mei claims it to be.

Oh yes, I think it is nice too! I personally am not good enough to dismiss it as a Muramasa. I can see some of the characteristics here, but who am I to say if it is gimei or not? To me, the site seems legit. Here’s the link:

https://www.lesabrejaponais.ch/naginata-signee-muramasa/

What I think is strange is that it hasn’t sold yet and that it isn’t papered, but it’s a very good looking naginata.

If that is a china made sword,

I did not intend to imply it was chinese made.

Just that it is not as signed. When you buy something from Canal Street with a designer name on it, you can probably assume it isn't authentic.

It still is serviceable. My wife still uses her "Prado" wallet purchased from Canal Street twenty years ago.

The same goes for the naginata, but the signature is no more genuine than that on the wife's "Prado" wallet.

• Like 2

No, its the end of Muromachi, but not Muramasa.

Muramasa has much stronger tint of Mino to it, kind of Ujifusa-like, hamon is different from this one. There are also some strongly sue-Soshu looking pieces, including hitatsura a-la Tsunahiro but with very long kaeri and very symmetric, but those are rare.

Very personal and likely erroneous opinion.

Kirill R.

• Like 2

Hm, during  oer  30 years in the fields  of  nihonto  i learned :First  jugde the blade, than the signature. If the blade says  no, than it  means nope.

On  the  other  hand,  I ve  seen many stranghe signatures  which  have been  papered by the NBTHK.

Far  as  i can  see, this blade is Sue-Koto Mino.

Sengo, no. i handled three  and  i owned once a Muramasa. but this  one, nope, never ever.

But ! nevertheless,  the blade is nod bad, even  beeing  Gimei.

• Like 4

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..